Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going into my 4th season of crossbow hunting. My original and current bow is a Centerpoint Sniper 370. It suits my needs and I have had zero issues with it. I got some BEE bolts, did Rich's trigger job, got a Ravin take off scope from Wyvern, replaced the stock sling, and added limbsaver limb dampeners. It shoots great and is more than adequate speed wise for my hunting needs. I find it easy to cock with the rope cocker.

The only things I do not like is that is heavy, does not "carry well", and the foot stirrup is a little bit small for my size 12 Lacross rubber boots. I am interested in finding something lighter and narrower to make my treks to and from my stands easier. I do not still hunt or stalk.

I have done an internet search on both these bows. They are in my price range. Now that they have been out for a while, is there anyone that owns either that can comment on them?

I am planning on using a rope cocker.

I read the stirrup on the M370 is small and the trigger on the CP400 is not great (wondering if the 2020 model is any better than the original release). The M370 is suppose to be @7lbs with the scope and quiver and the CP400 is @8.

Any and all information on these bows, or others that might suit my goals, are welcome and I thank you in advance.

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
Look at post #52 in this thread:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went with a Barnett XP400. Light, great trigger & still fast with non light weight arrows. Couldn't find anything not to like about it.

I considered the M370 but it's just kinda slow with the arrows I'd want to use. Lots of complaints about the trigger too.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with a Barnett XP400. Light, great trigger & still fast with non light weight arrows. Couldn't find anything not to like about it.

I considered the M370 but it's just kinda slow with the arrows I'd want to use. Lots of complaints about the trigger too.
Thanks for the suggestion. How long have you had the Barnett? @ how many shots through it, and how has it held up? It checks a lot of box's for me. It is not a brand I was looking at, based upon past reputation, non of which I can verify personally.

In my research on the WR I had not heard anything about it not reaching it's speed or trigger complaints. I will dig deeper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm just a few weeks ahead of you on my search for a newer bow for next year. Like you, I've used 1 bow for 4 seasons of deer hunting - a WR Invader G3. No problems, just wanted a bit more narrow and more fps. I had planned on buying the newest Invader - the Invader 400. But then I started reading more about the triggers in these bows and realized many considered them to be not all that good. I also shot another newer Invader and confirmed the trigger was just OK- not as good as my old Invader. I know I'd be disappointed if I bought a new bow with that trigger.

I looked at the specs of the XP400 and realized that it is very similar to the Invader 400, but the Trigger Tech trigger Barnett is using was the difference. And I really don't find anybody saying anything bad about the XP400 - mostly 'Wow, amazing - especially for the price".

I too had heard a lot of bad about Barnett in the past - but really nothing recent. It isn't hard to find 'limbs cracked' threads about most brands of crossbows, but I'm pretty sure I've seen more of these recently about Ten Point bows that I have Barnett.

From what I've been able to figure out, Barnett makes some really good bows these days, especially if you go with 'middle of the road' performance - not super fast or super narrow. Those things are great, but it seems to me they bring more problems than they are worth. I mean Ten Point can't make up their minds on what nocks you Must use on their bows - and of course the only place to get the nocks is from them. Barnetts fastest bows use a proprietary arrow - only place to get them is from Barnett. I think Ravin is like that too.

No thanks.

So I've only had the XP400 for a couple weeks and only 1 shot, just to check out the trigger. But shouldering it feels great, with the adjustable stock. Putting a better scope on it this week, hopefully find time (& decent weather) to shoot it more soon.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just a few weeks ahead of you on my search for a newer bow for next year. Like you, I've used 1 bow for 4 seasons of deer hunting - a WR Invader G3. No problems, just wanted a bit more narrow and more fps. I had planned on buying the newest Invader - the Invader 400. But then I started reading more about the triggers in these bows and realized many considered them to be not all that good. I also shot another newer Invader and confirmed the trigger was just OK- not as good as my old Invader. I know I'd be disappointed if I bought a new bow with that trigger.

I looked at the specs of the XP400 and realized that it is very similar to the Invader 400, but the Trigger Tech trigger Barnett is using was the difference. And I really don't find anybody saying anything bad about the XP400 - mostly 'Wow, amazing - especially for the price".

I too had heard a lot of bad about Barnett in the past - but really nothing recent. It isn't hard to find 'limbs cracked' threads about most brands of crossbows, but I'm pretty sure I've seen more of these recently about Ten Point bows that I have Barnett.

From what I've been able to figure out, Barnett makes some really good bows these days, especially if you go with 'middle of the road' performance - not super fast or super narrow. Those things are great, but it seems to me they bring more problems than they are worth. I mean Ten Point can't make up their minds on what nocks you Must use on their bows - and of course the only place to get the nocks is from them. Barnetts fastest bows use a proprietary arrow - only place to get them is from Barnett. I think Ravin is like that too.

No thanks.

So I've only had the XP400 for a couple weeks and only 1 shot, just to check out the trigger. But shouldering it feels great, with the adjustable stock. Putting a better scope on it this week, hopefully find time (& decent weather) to shoot it more soon.
Have you gotten a chance to do some shooting with the XP400? I am starting to lean towards it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Actually yes, I have. Happened to have a nice day last week for sighting it in and one last chance to hunt before our deer season ended.

I'm very happy with it. It is what I was looking for and so for I'm 1/1 with it - one hunt, one tag filled, although the shot (20 yards) wasn't much of a test - close it good, right?

I had planned on trying to use the same arrows I was using with my old Invader, but the XP400 wasn't crazy about them. Not sure if it was the aluminum or the omni-nocks - probably the nocks.

Anyway, the arrows that come with it (Barnett Headhunter) really seem pretty good (my son uses them with his Barnett with very good results) and it didn't take many shots to find a couple broadheads that worked well with these arrows. Sighting it in was pretty painless, even with broadheads.

The quiver probably needs trimmed a bit where the arrows slide into the little rubber holders - on my to do list, but plenty of time until October.

Anyway, I would highly recommend the XP400.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I might add that I am completely happy with the trigger, which as I mentioned above, was one of the reasons I went with the Barnett.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine did come with a crank & I have used that most of the time. The crank is pretty easy to use but a little noisy - not something I'd want to use for hunting.

So, yes Ive rope cocked it too. If you are used to rope cocking a lower poundage bow, it does take more effort than that. I don't know that I'd want to rope cock it 30 times in a day, but 12-15 times shouldn't be an issue for most.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the crank cocker permanently mounted? I hunt on my own land often and cock my bow as I head out the door. I also cock my bow at my truck when I drive to some other stands. It would be nice to use the crank and then leave it behind, bringing the rope cocker to the stand just in case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The crank handle is not mounted permanently. What you described in your last sentence is exactly how I did it. That crank handle would be easy to loose.

Anyway, on my one hunt with it, I used the crank to cock it at the truck and the rope cocker to re-cock after the shot. I left the crank handle in the truck.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great.

As I have mentioned weight is a major reason for me to get a second bow. The XP400 is listed at 6.2lbs bare bow. Do you know how much the "guts" of the crank, not the handle, add to the bow?

Or can you tell me what your bow weight is without the handle, sling, and quiver? Also what scope you are using, I plan on putting on a Ravin R26 or a KI Luminex Speed Ring.

Hope I am not being to much of a PIA with all my questions!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm using a Trophy Ridge/Hawke (XB30 pro clone) scope. It's probably around a pound. The crank mechanism is pretty small. can't imagine it weighs more than a few ounces. I would think it's right around 7.5 pounds carrying weight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts