Archery Talk Forum banner

Wife Questions lol

845 Views 17 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  ChadBrailer
so girls my wife is a non country girl well, country but well heck..

HOW DO I GET HER TO ENJOY bow shooting she thinks its the weirdest thing in the world.

any help would be nice :cool:
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Well, if you've taken her to a good archery shop & had them set her up with a propperly fitted bow that she can shoot comfortably...& she dosen't enjoy doing it, then there's not much else you can do. After she got the hang of it, I'd suggest letting her shoot by herself for a while with no one looking over her shoulder. If after giving it a fair trial & she still dosen't enjoy it, you'll have done all you could.

· Registered
260 Posts
My wife was the same way, didn't really like to shoot anything. I took her to my awesome archery shop(downwind archery) and they let her shoot whatever she wanted. After the first shoot you couldn't get the grin off of her face. She fell in love with it, unfortunately I lost my job and we couldn't afford to get her a bow, but now she is interested.

· Registered
1,226 Posts
so girls my wife is a non country girl well, country but well heck..

HOW DO I GET HER TO ENJOY bow shooting she thinks its the weirdest thing in the world.

any help would be nice :cool:
be careful what you ask for! that's the only thing my wife dose'nt do with me,that's my time off.she's always hunting with me and she drives me crazy wanting to go fishing every free minute!

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
be careful what you ask for! that's the only thing my wife dose'nt do with me,that's my time off.she's always hunting with me and she drives me crazy wanting to go fishing every free minute!
lol thanks for the warning lol

but i'll give it a try we got a good one here in ohio Buckeye Outdoors and not to bad of a drive to WV.

Thanks.

· Registered
30,683 Posts
There are a few little tips that might help.

Let her set up her own bow.. let her pick one she likes the look of, one that feels right-- camo or target bows, whatever brand, any color accessories. She will feel more comfortable with one she has picked. Take her to a shop you trust, then sit down and shut your mouth. Try not to influence her choices with your own preferences. Make a day of it, check out the shops, get some dinner.. keep it pressure free.

Take her to shoot when the range is empty. A lot of women don't want to learn when its crowded-- it just feels akward.

If you can get her to where other women are shooting, that may help. If she gets to know some other women (or just other people) who are shootig, then it becomes a social thing, and is more fun.

Answer her questions, but don't overwhelm her with too much information. If her form isnt perfect, so what? Let her play with it, and when she decides she wants to improve, she will ask.

Let her try a few different types of shooting- spots or 3D or hunting. She may enjoy one and not another.

Lastly, be prepared for when she starts shooting better than you. Make sure it isnt a competition between the two of you. That can really turn women away from shooting.

If it will help, get her into the women's forum on here. It can be very encouraging to see women at all different ability levels all having a good time together.

Good luck, I hope some of this helps. Shooting is a great way to spend time together as a family

· Registered
1,612 Posts
I took mine to a large 3D event and showed her how many other ladies were shooting...

· Registered
24 Posts
First off, I think it is a good deal to get people involved in archery. There are a few drawbacks when this could involve your wife.

Here are a few,

1) She WILL find out you didn't win all those bows in archery raffles!
2) Her equipment will take priority over yours!
3) She may shoot better than you!
4) You will now be hunting and shooting with your wife rather than your buddies!
5) You will be doing the dishes more often!

Or, it could be fun!

· Registered
37 Posts
I agree, get your self set up first! I got my wife a parker buckshot ,I told her the basics ,got her shooting on target in no time, she also received a private lesson with a instructor ,,whom I spoke to on the side and told him , please dont cut her down, I want her to enjoy this with me, he was great he didnt have to lie too much , since she already was aware of proper stance , "walking threw the shot" and proper trigger squeeze.. she even told the instructor that I was a great teacher, he threw some tips her way, and sat back and retrieved her arrows, then added a small sticker to the target and asked her to put a arrow in it, she did and has been gung ho ever since,, now back to why I said set your self up first,, she now wants all the top of the line stuff , new bow , sights, arrows, you name it, Ive created a monster!! but im loving it, and we hope to get her set up soon, and into some tournaments soon, good luck, and have fun.

· Registered
30,683 Posts
First off, I think it is a good deal to get people involved in archery. There are a few drawbacks when this could involve your wife.

Here are a few,

4) You will now be hunting and shooting with your wife rather than your buddies!

Or, it could be fun!

Actually, we do shoot together a lot. But when we group up and go-- most times the women shoot together and the men shoot together. We go have our fun, and they have thiers. So just make sure some of your buddies have women who shoot, too.

As for setting up equipment, stop and think about this. Instead of waiting at home angry that you spent MORE time and money at the shop, she will be dragging you out to go buy stuff. You will never again be in trouble for shooting, nor will you have to lie about what you bought. She will be EXCITED to see your new stuff.

But as for her shooting better than you, well yeah. Be ready for that. :p But if it helps, my guy is currently buying all sorts of stuff for his set up, using the excuse that he has to catch up to me.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i like this i like this lol the dishes i do already and back in the day i used to run gas powerd rc cars you dident win them all REALLY i understand this now 100% i'd still like to get her into something we both can enjoy i also tried dirt track racing but no.. thanks for all the comments on this one

Here are a few,

Or, it could be fun!

· Registered
889 Posts
Set her up with a pink bow or fletch her some arrows to shoot so that she will see that it is not just for boys. My wife wouldnt shoot an old camo youth bow that i had when she started out because she said it was ugly. So I spray painted the riser hot pink and the limbs black so it would suite her personality better. That was all it took to get her hooked. She just shot her first 3D shoot last month and now she cant wait for the next one. She is actually pretty good. She is gonna try and shoot the next asa shoot in Georgia intead of watching me. I shoot with some guys that wouldn't want to shoot against her.:embara: Its alot of fun because now it is something that we have in common. :wink:

· Registered
2,564 Posts
And if you are on a family budget, you will only get to spend half of what you normally spend on your gear, she gets the other half.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
And if you are on a family budget, you will only get to spend half of what you normally spend on your gear, she gets the other half.
OH BS my wife buys all her own gear!

· Resident Philosopher
11,705 Posts
Make her watch ......when boredom takes over she will beg you to let her shoot !!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.