Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife purchased a Heritage Series TD Recurve. 25#@24"
She shoots off of a rest with it. We got some cheap youth cedar arrows and they come off that bow like someone tossing a stick.

What arrows do you suggest?

·
Registered
439 Posts
NH Guy said:
My wife purchased a Heritage Series TD Recurve. 25#@24"
She shoots off of a rest with it. We got some cheap youth cedar arrows and they come off that bow like someone tossing a stick.

What arrows do you suggest?
My wife shoots best with her Hoyt riser, wood/glass short limbs (66"at 28#). She draws 24" and shoots 1516 Easton Platinum Plus shafts like darts, single hole paper tune. We use three 2-1/2" feathers on hers. 1616 were too stiff.
Bill G.

·
Registered
20,536 Posts
MH -

If she's a new shooter, don't go below 1716s. You might even want to consider Easton Genesis (kid's) arrow (1820's). No, they won't tune properly, but they'll last a lot longer than the smaller and thinner walled shafts. As a new shooter, she'll need more work than the bow. As her form develops, then look into correctly spining the arrows. My guess is, unless she's very petite, her draw length will increase some as her form develops as well.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. Viper, when you say they (1716) will last longer do you mean they will stand up to longer abuse?

However, will the 1516's bring out a smoother flight. Granted, she needs practice and I know no arrow works magic but I would sacrifice durability over smoother flight so she is less fustrated with the results.

If I have this all wrong please let me know. Again thanks for your help. This site is great for such questions.

·
Registered
20,536 Posts
NH -

It's your call, the 1716 are definately over spined, but will hold up better. The Genesis arrows are 1820s and damn near indestructable. Consider the distances she's shooting at, unless the arrows are flying side ways, they are good enough to learn on, IMHO. As she develops, things will start changing - might even need a new bow in addition to new arrows!

If she's stays a casual shooter, then a "prefect" arrow flight won't be worth the time and a less than perfect is more cost efficient than replacing arrow every few weeks. That may seem like a negative take, but that's the reality.

You didn't mention how well she's shooting, so it's hard to make a call.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'd go with the 1716s Viper recommended. I'd leave them full length to soften them up (29.5"). Then you can always load up on point weight to further soften them with RPS points and inserts. 17/64 points are available from 50gr all the way to 125gr; whereas you're pretty limited in points available for 16/64 or 15/64 arrows. Plus as your wife's draw length grows her bow poundage is going to increase as well making interchangeable points even more advantageous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts