Archery Talk Forum banner

wifes got the itch

722 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  archeryhunterME
well it didnt take long, after slinging a few arrows out of her DXT, she looks at me and says, "I wanna hunt". so here is my problem, I know nothing about light #s and such. heres what she is shooting

mathews DXT 40# 24"

her arrows are gold tip 35/55 cut to 23" FOBS and a 75gr head.

would you leave her shooting 75 gr or bump her up to 85gr,(not much difference except in BH selection) Either way I need a BH that she could use. shes hunting coues deer, maybe javalina. any ideas?

also what should her shot distance be?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
9,843 Posts
Get her a cut on contact head, like a Magnus Stinger. Any sharp head that flies well should do the trick. If you can find one at 75 or 85 grains, try them out. Sharpen those heads up sharp and turn her loose.

Since you're married you DO know that "I wanna" really means "I'm gonna", don't you?

· Registered
5,442 Posts
My wife decided the same thing this year.. I was in the same boat you are.. I went to the womens forum and started asking questions. Quite helpful... I kept my wifes arrows on the heavy side. We just bought the Bemen junior's and she is using 100gr Slick Trick Mags.. She is shooting 25"draw at 42lbs. Her total arrow wieght is 340gr.

· Breathn
13,012 Posts
ttt

on the new drury dream season dvd Mark take his daughter bowhunting this year and she shoot right through a 108in deer.She was shooting 38pds with a single solid blade head.If she can hit them in the boiler room I say go for it.Just limit the distance to 20-30yds.

· She's baaaaack!!!!
20,603 Posts
The 75 gr WASP Hammer SST would do the job. I've found the Hammer heads penetrate very well. The leading tip is stainless steel, small and fairly sharp. I think it's the blade angle that helps slice through material. I'd expect the Hammer to exit with the rig you described. However, I wouldn't expect to shoot through a major bone with any head with the setup you mentioned. She'll surely bury the arrow to the fletching on smaller deer.

Note: I've successfully used different broadheads the last few years and I like all of them. I am NOT trying to sell you on the Wasp Hammer only because that's what I use.

· Registered
1,018 Posts
85 gr Magnus stingers

My wife shoots 41 lbs with a 320 grain total weight arrow and she uses 85 gr magnus stingers. She won't shoot at a deer any farther than 25 yards. She has taken 2 deer and i had to pull both arrows out of the ground, the doe wasn't very big, but the buck went 167 lbs on my digital scale and was shot at 19 yards. Stingers are probably the sharpest broadheads i've ever taken out of a package, and i've used a bunch of different brands over a 25 year span. Any cut on contact head that is razor sharp will do the trick. JT

· Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,155 Posts
my girlfriend shoots 38# at 25" and shoots AXIS 500's with 85 grain Montec's, they are only going 212 fps but she got one deer last year and got on this past weekend, she spined it and it went through the other side! I would go with an 85 grain head just to give you more of a selection, I know muzzy makes a 75 grain 3 blade, and so do some others but I think you would be better off adding 10 grains and getting a food cut on contact head!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.