Archery Talk Forum banner

Wifes want bow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1400 Views 24 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  IBBW
I have red the threads here and have looked at the suggestions. My wife has been showing some intrest in shooting with me and wants me to get her a bow however I havent found anywhere in the area that has anything she can try in her size. So I have located a few bows that im considering for her. She is not picky and just wants something to shoot with me but I want to get her something that will fit her well and perform well for her so she doesent lose intrest as she is very competetive.I shoot mathews and like it but have shot a lot of brands and they all did the job but naturally im leaning toward mathews since im real impressed with the one I have. She is pulling about 25.5 or 26dl and can handle 40pds pretty good. The three bows im considering are bowtech rapture lite new demo I like this looks of the bow I like the extra bh over the edge and its a little faster but its very short ata. #2 is the diamond edge I like the adustabilty but its even shorter ata. 3rd is a used mathews fx it looks like a nice bow and has everything but a release with it for $250 the downside is mathews have to swap cams to adust the dl but they are readly aviliable. I would really like to find a q1 or q2xl with 50lb limbs and id get the cam for her draw but their hard to come by with 50lb limbs. What would yall suggest im not in a big hurry but dont want the opertunity to pass by. Also might have a chance at a martin tigress but I now nothing about martin.Thanks Riley
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
7,588 Posts
It is great that your wife is taking an interest in archery!! Try to get her something nice, not a kids bow and not a 'mans' bow backed down or too long a draw for her.

I have Bowtechs, one allegiance and two guardians. I love them all. My daughter has an equalizer and it is an awesome bow!! They are fast and smooth, lots of women here will tell you the same thing. Bowtech does not have them in their 2009 lineup so if you are interested just look in the classifieds here and maybe you can find one.

Good luck in your quest, hope you can find what she wants and enjoys shooting with you. If you have any questions feel free to come here and ask, and have her come on here too!!!

· Registered
1,539 Posts
They are all great choises. I myself owned a q2xl but personaly did not like it, I prefer shorter ata bows. I also owned the fx and fx2 both awsome bows. I am now a bowtech shooter though. My biggest problem was long draw length 27" light DW 40-50. But now I'm pullin 50# so not as big a prob. Good luck with this and let us know what you get her..:wink:

· Registered
3,590 Posts
That's a toughy...My first suggestion is always to test shoot as many as you can before buying. Like you said you want to find the right one for her so she doesn't lose interest...so my 2 cents is that you travel and test shoot a variety of them.

My personal vote is also for the BT Equalizer...I am not disappointed with this bow.

Happy shopping and shooting!

· Registered
18,691 Posts
I've had an Equalizer and a PSE Spyder. Both are good bows. Equalizer is faster, yet to me it is not as smooth as my new Martin Firecat. The Firecat is a very smooth, fast and light bow.
As the rest have said, have her shoot what she can and let her decide. Good luck and have her join up here!!

Dee

· Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are all great choises. I myself owned a q2xl but personaly did not like it, I prefer shorter ata bows. I also owned the fx and fx2 both awsome bows. I am now a bowtech shooter though. My biggest problem was long draw length 27" light DW 40-50. But now I'm pullin 50# so not as big a prob. Good luck with this and let us know what you get her..:wink:
Im seriosly considering three ofcorse the first is the mathews fx it has a 25cam on it and proably will go 25.5 or 24.5 most do correct me if im wrong its the minimax which i like its what I have on my conquest and I really like it.Even if I have to switch the cam most id be looking at total is $320. The tigtress looks like a nice bow but like I said ive never had any expercience with martin and another thing im considering with the mathews is if she decides its not for her I can switch the cam and use it myself. Ive never shot anything shorter than 38" ata and prefer a longer ata bow but im 6ft and shes 5'4" so the shorter bow may feel better to her.What do yall laides think? I would love to get her a equalizer but there a little out of my range for her to just try the sport out, maybe later if she gets serious with it. I wish there was somewhere she could try something out but I just havent foud anything in the area. How do you like the grip on the fx I shoot my conquest with just a wrap and have never really liked the wood one piece grips.

· Registered
18,691 Posts
My Firecats are 33" ata and have a brace height of 7". I do know of one that is for sale, if interested pm me.
Good luck in getting her the best bow for her!
Dee

· Registered
480 Posts
i hate to be the cheesy one here.. but just don't stress it too much. Don't argue with her about which one you think she should get or use..

just remember that she loves you and if you get it for her shes going to love it. thats not to say that she wont want to upgrade later down the road but who doesn't..

even if i decided i'd rather have another bow i wouldn't trade it because of the sentimental value it holds for me as a surprise present from my bf.

she'll appreciate it no matter what :wink:

/end of hallmark moment. lol

· Registered
818 Posts
I would second the reply about not buying her a youth bow. The standard answer here in the general forum is for the Diamond Edge....but here's the thing that bugs me about this answer.......if a man asks what bow he should buy, he'll receive a thread 5 pages long about all the bows that people think he should buy and why. If someone asks what they should get for their young kid or their significant female other, the answer is the Edge. There are quite a few bows available for women to shoot.....why stick her with a bow meant for the growth of a child? That's why it has so much room to adjust draw. But she won't need to change her draw...so that part is of no use. It's a lower end bow and the package comes with lower end accessories. It's fine if that's all you have for a budget, but if you can spend a bit more you can find some really nice higher quality bows in the classifieds.

Hoyt makes some wonderful short draw bows and has a smaller grip which is sometimes more comfortable for us ladies. Martin has some nice bows and comes with 15#'s of draw change. They do have quite a big grip though, IMHO. Alpine makes a nice bow with a smaller grip as well....and you can get some pretty cheap in the classifieds. Several ladies shoot the Equalizer on here too.

· Registered
721 Posts
Rather than a Martin Tigress, I really think you should consider the Martin Mystic - look at the specs here. The cool thing about Martins is that when you change draw length, you don't have to buy a new cam everytime, they are adjustable on the mods that come with the bows. If you aren't positive of her draw length, you can change it to fit her.
I am shooting this bow right now and it is definitely a very forgiving bow, the grip is small, brace height good and if you order a 50# bow, it will crank down to 35# so she can start on a lighter weight. There is a link to a photo of my bow in my profile.

Speed: 315-320 FPS (70#, 30”, 350 gr.)
Let-Off: 65%
Draw Weights: 50#, 60#, 70#
Draw Length: 24”-32.5”
Brace Height: 7.25”
Weight: 4.2 lbs.
Axle Length: 40”

· Registered
818 Posts
Not all Martin's change on the same mod. The older Tiger that my daughter has uses a mod for each inch of draw. For the older bows, it would probably be best to call Martin to inquire ahead of time, and to ask if they have the mods available if you needed a different one. We were told by our dealer that we would have no trouble getting mods for our daughter's from Martin, but found out later that the mods were discontinued and we could only get what was still in stock from them. Just something to think about.

· Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Rather than a Martin Tigress, I really think you should consider the Martin Mystic - look at the specs here. The cool thing about Martins is that when you change draw length, you don't have to buy a new cam everytime, they are adjustable on the mods that come with the bows. If you aren't positive of her draw length, you can change it to fit her.
I am shooting this bow right now and it is definitely a very forgiving bow, the grip is small, brace height good and if you order a 50# bow, it will crank down to 35# so she can start on a lighter weight. There is a link to a photo of my bow in my profile.

Speed: 315-320 FPS (70#, 30”, 350 gr.)
Let-Off: 65%
Draw Weights: 50#, 60#, 70#
Draw Length: 24”-32.5”
Brace Height: 7.25”
Weight: 4.2 lbs.
Axle Length: 40”
What is your body size im just asking because I too prefer a longer ata and straight riser for the forgiveness but I am a bit worried that 40"will just feel long to her with her height I started shooting when all bows were pretty much 40" and over so it is normal for me. But the more I look at this fx the better it seems it has a good proven cam and good speed and a nice 7.5 bh the ata is 34" and I know its not the best money can buy but I feel it might fit her just rite.http://mathewsinc.com/mathews-bows-FX-44-ViewProduct-1296-290.asp#specs

· Registered
55 Posts
Go to www.benpearson.com and check out the spoiler with the 20 degree angled grip, I bought my wife one as it was her first bow. The angled grip will prevent the ol' goose eggs from forming on the forearm, and it shoots very nice. The youth bows they have are very nice too.

Good luck no matter what and remember PATIENCE!

· Registered
351 Posts
I would second the reply about not buying her a youth bow. The standard answer here in the general forum is for the Diamond Edge....but here's the thing that bugs me about this answer.......if a man asks what bow he should buy, he'll receive a thread 5 pages long about all the bows that people think he should buy and why. If someone asks what they should get for their young kid or their significant female other, the answer is the Edge. There are quite a few bows available for women to shoot.....why stick her with a bow meant for the growth of a child? That's why it has so much room to adjust draw. But she won't need to change her draw...so that part is of no use. It's a lower end bow and the package comes with lower end accessories. It's fine if that's all you have for a budget, but if you can spend a bit more you can find some really nice higher quality bows in the classifieds.

Hoyt makes some wonderful short draw bows and has a smaller grip which is sometimes more comfortable for us ladies. Martin has some nice bows and comes with 15#'s of draw change. They do have quite a big grip though, IMHO. Alpine makes a nice bow with a smaller grip as well....and you can get some pretty cheap in the classifieds. Several ladies shoot the Equalizer on here too.
X2
The kids bows are great for growing kids, but with all the DL adjustment comes some disadvanges too, like a no wall to pull to. The Equalizer, Kobalt and such are great small bows. My 11 yr old shouts a #40 Kobalt at 232 FPS, he move up from a Micro Adreniline #46 213 FPS, you can see the difference in cam efficiency

· Registered
129 Posts
The Edge

I just started bow shooting back in March 2008 and I went to bass pro- outdoor world- and shot 5-6 different types/makes of bows. The one I walked away with, the one I research and heard the best stuff about was the Diamond Edge. I shot that bow 1 time and just fell in love with how smooth the draw is, how quiet it is and everything else. I shoot a 26 or 26.5 DL and was about 45-46# DW but hurt my shoulder playing sports, so I'm down to about a 42-44 now.

I also shot the Diamond Black Ice 50-60#. That is my next bow if I ever decide to go above 50#. It was extremely easy to pull back and hold for a period of time.

Good luck in finding a bow. You can always check the classified adds on here for a good use bow. My boyfriends daughter (14) just got a use Micro Midas and she loves it. It works great for her. She pulls about 35# now at 25.5 or 26 DL. So once you find one you like, you could always look on here for a use one for now.

· Registered
66 Posts
Martins are a great bow...I had a Martin Tigress which was my favorite..I can longer shot bow but I still love that one..Just so you know martin no longer makes the tigress..they have the leopard in its place..but if you can find a Tigress it is great...I found it light and would recommend Martin to everyone but that is MY opinion

· Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Allright down to about two here unless somthing else come up. The martin tigress is a 2006 and the fx is around a 2002 proably both are setup pretty equal and both are the same price. If she could pull 60lb this would be much easier.lol

· Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok another bow has came into play. Its a mathews nice looking ultra2 it has a 36" ata with a tite 6 1/8 bh thats the doiwside but with the short draw this may not be a huge factor I"ve been concerned that with the higher bh,sdl and low weight speed is going to be lacking to the point that it may hurt her performance abilty any of you ladies have any expercience with one of these?

· Registered
30,683 Posts
I have to put in a plug for the Reflex Growler. It is a great bow to learn on. The draw length is totally adjustable without a bow press. Once she is set up, she wont need to worry about that, but when she is learning she may play with different releases, anchor points etc, which can alter the draw length a little.
Its a great performing bow as well. The only thing is I have a longer draw length, so have never shot it at the shorter end. I don't know how much that will affect it.
I have a 60# bow, and cranked the draw weight down to 45# when I started shooting it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.