Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got the news a couple days ago that there was a huge wildfire 6 miles south of some land I have permission to hunt on. Thank God that the wind changed directions last night and is pushing the fire against what already has been burned. I called the landowner today to see how close it actually got and in discussing with him, he requested that no one go on his land until they get a nice rain in the area due to truck exhaust starting fires and such. He even kicked his grandkids out...lol No hard feelings, I'd hate to be the one responsible for accidentally catching his property on fire. He said once we got rain to come shoot all the hogs, deer, and coyotes I can.

So it looks like I will be hunting public land at the opener this year. Not a big deal, just something I haven't done before. I have found some nice secluded areas that look to be low traffic and are holding deer of all sizes. Glad I decided to buy a climber. Only 26 days til opening day....Gonna be a whole new experience! I am going to be mobile and hunting some low traffic public land, can't wait!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SW Oklahoma. I hunt down there in Eastern Kiowa County and then some in Caddo. The piece of land that was pretty close to the fire, I don't get to hunt until late season. I have even seen some elk down there, no legal bulls though. The landowner's grandkids have dibs on that, but I have a nice 160 acres away from that that is a real honey hole.

I'm just glad they got the fire under somewhat control! We still need more rain...atleast it has cooled off!

·
74,535 Posts
Just left dinner with a friend from Texas and he said on his way up here he saw lots of brush fires. His friends went and helped fight the fires at Wa****a Wildlide management. Right now it bad ever where.
DB

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the Wildlife Refuge is the fire I'm talking about. They had 3 helicopters working the fire and still couldn't make an impact due to the rough terrain. I think it will be beneficial to the refuge after a few years, but its a bummer to those that lost homes.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Yes, it's bad everywhere this year. Just left checking cams and filling the feeders. We left our place about 1:30 in the afternoon and an hour after we left the fires started. Will find out today if it got our place. It is spreading over 500 acres and many have had to be evacuated. Please pray for them.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
It has got over 1500 acres , 3 homes and many still evacuated.
Still dont know about ours yet . Please pray for those effected.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I work in Emergency Management and it has been incredibly busy. The whole north end of Blue River WMA in Tishomingo burned a few weeks ago. Over a mile wide and more than 6 miles long. Burnt everything down to the dirt except for the trees.

They're saying no measurable rainfall possibly into November, and that we may not get out of the exceptional drought category until next May.

Pray for a hurricane because that might be the only way we get any moisture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts