Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes and No

If you place it in a spot that makes it stick out like a sore thumb, the deer will keep their distance.If you leave it out for days the deer will get used to it.

I think that keeping the blind out of the open, and some natural camoflauge help to keep you concealed, and is the best way to go if you do not want to leave your blind out.

·
Martin Pro Staff
1,804 Posts
yes...mine has every time...regardless where I place it or how I hide it...they have noticed it every time...they don't always leave, but they are always very nervous, and jump at every little thing and keep looking at it and all around.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you have to hunt a newly placed ground blind, try the 50/100 method. If its in a place where the deer stumble on it (the 50 part) conceal it as much as you can in trees or cover with brush. If they can see it from further away then you dont have to do it as much because they can check it out from a distance first and feel more comfortable. Setting it up a while before is always better.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I've always set my Double Bulls out a month before the season starts and brush it in well with the surroundings. I haven't had any spook because of seeing the blind. I suppose by the time the season come around they are already use to it.

TEXAS

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I have set my double bulls up many many times and had deer walk right by the same day. But I wont say that everyone will have the same results.

It could vary by state or hunting pressure or also public vs. private land,etc. There are alot of variables.

I did decide to set mine up and brush them in and leave them out all season though this year. I have never done that before so I wanted to experiment.

rick

·
Only visiting this planet
4,216 Posts
I had a doe bed in the shadow of my blind (no more than 3 yards) after it had been set up for less than 2 hrs....
Depends on the deer/day - as a rule, I think setting up well ahead of time and brushing in makes alot of sense.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
If you have any pine trees around you can brush a double bull up real good with one of them. I don't personally like hunting whitetails outta a blind much. You have to be in a really good spot for them to not spot you and you'll have to brush it in pretty good.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We brush ours in and tuck them back a ways. Can't leave them out though. Bears took 3 of them out in a week. In our lower plot our blind is surrounded by pines. Cut a few branches and set them along the front. Works great! Important to leave camo netting down. Deer get nervous seeing a black hole, Witnessed this several times.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i have always just put one in the edge of the woods line on a feild and bush it up a lil and get it out there about a week ahead of time

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Always used mine in the thick timber and have never had a problem...!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
With turkeys it won't make a bit of difference, but deer on the other hand they notice anything that changes in their environment. You can compare it to your living room. If someone put a new sofa in there you would recognize it. Deer are the same way. I would recommend putting it out 2-3 weeks ahead of time.
It is also going to depend on what you want to shoot. I have seen that does for the most part would come in the first night if for nothing else out of curiosity, but big bucks on the other hand tend to "hang up" like a turkey until they get used to it.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
They ignore this homemade one. It has no roof so there are no black windows. Although it looks obvious in this setting it really does just vanish in the woods... This is one of several panels I use depending on the set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
We set up double bullblinds at sites while hunting each morning of a hunt sometimes and never seems to matter to the game :wink: they still come in with in 10-40 yds and water or feed... the best is to give them a few days to get use to it; but sometimes you just can't....:sad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts