Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering...will some broadheads amplify tuning, arrow spine or form issues more than others? For example, would a slick trick have less of a reaction than say a mangus stinger? In other words, if your field points are shooting well, would different broadheads amplify any issues more or less due to their designs?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I shoot 3 different brands of broadheads, and all three shoot like my field points. A buddy of mine has a time shooting anything other that a 3 blade 100g muzzy.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Snip: I shoot 3 different brands of broadheads, and all three shoot like my field points.
Same here, Magnus, Muzzy's, and some Mechanical's for Gobble Gobble.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts
The shorter the broad head the more it behaves like a field point. The wider the broadhead is the more it's going to show tuning flaws. Long heads put more weight further from the balance point of a target tip and wide heads catch more air so they are the most sensitive to tune.

I have target tips, G5 Strikers, Wasp Boss, Wasp Hammer SST's and Muzzy MX-3's all grouping tight together at 40 yards. All these heads are close to or right on 100 grains and all are close in length.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
I think all heads will react some what different from others.

believing all will "fly like fieldpoints" is a myth and a ad campaign scheme

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
I have shot Slick Trick(and Steelhead Mechs.) for several years now....last year, I decided to give the Muzzy MX4's a try and bought a pack.....My Slicks and FP's hit identical out to 50 yds after some minor BH tuning....The MX4's were grouping good but were 4 inches low and right of the FPs and Slicks by about 4 inches.......I stayed with my Slicks and my Steelheads and that is what I now will shoot this season also.........:darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
it's not the broadhead

Field and Stream just put an article in their Deer Season Preview August 2009 Page B12 where the guy tested 12 different brands of broadheads. He used a Hooter Shooter device on the same bow and found that the field points impact exactly where the broadheads hit. His point was that broadheads will do their job as long as the shooter can do theirs. Hand torque, dropping the bow, not following through, etc. Just thought I would pass it along since I read it in the last few days....

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I was wondering...will some broadheads amplify tuning, arrow spine or form issues more than others? For example, would a slick trick have less of a reaction than say a mangus stinger? In other words, if your field points are shooting well, would different broadheads amplify any issues more or less due to their designs?
IMO, yes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts