Archery Talk Forum banner

Will I be able to fing this buck, shot placement question?

4276 Views 59 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  tuckerdog
I shot him about 6:20 yesterday evening. The shot broke his front right shoulder with it just hanging wihen he ran off and the arrow went in 4 to 5" and broke the broad head off inside him. I gave him almost 3 hrs. found the arrow but no blood in the dark. the shot was about 3" to the right of the heart. Here is a pic to clarify. The shot was about 3" in the right of the yellow dot and an 1" or 2" below. The broad head was just inside the rib cage. Deer Illustration Terrestrial animal Fawn Wildlife
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
4,418 Posts
should be able to..maybe a bad blood trail if you only have 1 hole, but with that shot placement he shouldnt be far.

· Embrace the suck!
7,994 Posts
If your broadhead made it into those pink lungs then you should be able to find him. But the blood will be hard to find because it will have to go out the hole in his leg rather than shoot directly out of the ribcage. Good luck.

· Registered
4,284 Posts
That's tricky. You might have clipped the front edge of the lung and if you did then he should be dead but will run a long way b/c you only got one lung. Just go slow and take your time. And be ready to shoot him again if you find him and he is still alive.

· Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
have you looked for him yet? you posted this at 11:30 this morning, but you shot him yesterday at 6pm?
I waited almost 3 hrs. and then stared looking we looked for about 2 hrs. in the dark. I also shot and recoverd 2 does last night(it was a hell of a night), they ran the opposite why of the buck, I shot the buck 1st then the does later.

· Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your broadhead made it into those pink lungs then you should be able to find him. But the blood will be hard to find because it will have to go out the hole in his leg rather than shoot directly out of the ribcage. Good luck.
I simulated the shot with a doe I shot after I gutted her and it looked like the broad head just punched inside the ribs. That is why the arrow broke when he ran off. I was using carbon express arrows and they are pretty tough.

· Mark
6,724 Posts
i would walk all the trails that your aware of, I have found most wounded deer stay on trails and I have found dead deer actually laying on trails. Walk them and look around while doing so.
Good luck.

· Registered
10,318 Posts
I really can't make much sense out of the original post about where you hit. All I know is 5" of penetration and a hanging shoulder equal a dead deer and you oughta get off the computer and get out there to look for it.

· Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really can't make much sense out of the original post about where you hit. All I know is 5" of penetration and a hanging shoulder equal a dead deer and you oughta get off the computer and get out there to look for it.
That would be nice but I am a chiropractor and a football coach for the 5th grade the next time I can look is wed. afternon on my half day off. I have to drive 1hr. and 20 min. to my hunting spot.

· Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
why did you shoot 3 deer in one night...what is wrong with some people
I was waiting for this peticular buck I was not going to shoot anything but him or anything bigger but I had him patterned. After I shot him I thought I would take advantage of shooting some does cause I haven't shot a doe off this property in three years and the ratio will start to get out of balance since I was going to try and recover him I wanted to thin the doe herd as well.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.