Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of 5 inch vanes. I currently shoot with 4 inch vanes. If I switch over to the 5 inch vanes, what difference might I notice if any?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The first thing you'll notice is that your vanes are longer:rolleyes:

A longer vane will give you more stability but will decrease your downrange speed. If your typical shot is 40 yards or less use the bigger vane... it will be more forgiving for you. Be sure to setup your rest and cable guard to get adequate clearance and also verify that the vanes do not hit the riser.

I personally use a 3 1/2 inch vane with a right helical set and a drop away rest. Using this setup has provided excellent results with fixed blade broadheads of all kinds... If you use mechanical heads, it doesn't really matter as much.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Incresed accuracy with fixed blade heads , I seriously doubt you or anyone else cold tell the decrease in fps or downrange trajectory , to 50 yards , or past that .

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
ijimmy said:
Incresed accuracy with fixed blade heads , I seriously doubt you or anyone else cold tell the decrease in fps or downrange trajectory , to 50 yards , or past that .
You can definitely tell a difference in vane length, but not too much within 30 yards. After that you will be able to tell a difference. I did an experiment with some vanes at different sizes same shaft and point and you could start see a difference in drop at 40 yards even with only a quarter inch of vane length increase.

The other problem you many have with 5" vanes is the brace height of a bow may not be sufficient for them to fit between the string and rest.

There is basically no need for 5" vanes or feathers unless you are a finger shooter. If you have a well tuned bow, you can shoot Blazers quite will.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts