Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During early season night hunting how long can you wait? If you have trouble locating deer will letting it sit in 55-60 deg weather overnight spoil the meat? Thanks.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Not if you get the inside of the hams and shoulders cooled down to ambient temperature. The closer to 40 degrees the better.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm talking ungut deer that you are having trouble locating due to rain washing away blood trail, poor shot, etc. and you have to wait till morning to find.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Most likely the deer would be fine. DOn't eat the inner tenders though. When you gut the deer it will smell some. Also the inner of the gut will be green Just cut all this out. THe Hams, shoulders and backstraps will be fine. You also can give it the common butchers test. Cut out a chunk of meat and place it on your tougue. If the meat is tainted your toungue will feel like touching a battery post(Tingle). If the meat is good it wont do this. Mike

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Last year I shot an 8 point at noon up at my buddy's camp and it was 65 degrees here on opening day of gun season. To make a long story short, by the time we got everything packed at camp, grabbed lunch and finally got home here, I didn't get the deer to my butcher until about 8 o'clock that night. Almost all of that meat is gone and I am yet to get sick :D

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
law651 said:
You also can give it the common butchers test. Cut out a chunk of meat and place it on your tougue. If the meat is tainted your toungue will feel like touching a battery post(Tingle). If the meat is good it wont do this. Mike
Thanks for the info.
Mike

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
With the guts still in it I wouldnt wait too long. I think 60 degrees over night is too long but Im sure there are people who have had better experiences then me.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
i couldnt find a buck two years ago and left him over night and it warmed up into the 50s .i hit him in the shoulder area facing me ,the slug went through the lungs but didnt exit so everything stayed in him over night ,needless to say i lost all the meat.actually the meat had already started turning green around the top of his back.it was less than 12 hrs.from the time i shot till we found him.but im guessing with everything staying inside him in that warm of temp.it was what caused the meat to go bad.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
its WAY too long...

You're getting nothing but spoilage and bacteria growth by leaving a deer out in 60 degree weather overnight...on the ground and not gutted is even worse.....I'm baffled at people that don't think leaving a deer overnight in 60 degree weather is a complete waste....I would make it a priority to find that deer, get it gutted, get it skinned and into a cooler....the sooner you do it , the better it will taste (if you can eat it at all)

At home we used to use the old fridge in the garage...take all the shelves out and hang the quarters in it in the early bowhunting months.....

I was taught to get that deer out of the field, skinned, and cooled as soon as humanely possible.

IMO there is no such thing as "gamey tasting"...what you're tasting is poor meat care....I can put properly cared for deer up against beef and you'll have a hard time knowing it.

If I had my doubts about it but didn't think it was too bad I would make that deer into chili or sausage and avoid hamburger and steaks....

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would say that it depends on how well you hit the deer, and how long it stays alive after the shot. In other words, if you hit guts and it takes the animal 4 or 5 hours to die, then the meat would likely be fine the next morning, but if you double lung it and the animal dies quickly no way I would eat it if it layed out all night in 60 degree weather.:pukey:

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Unkljohn said:
I would say that it depends on how well you hit the deer, and how long it stays alive after the shot. In other words, if you hit guts and it takes the animal 4 or 5 hours to die, then the meat would likely be fine the next morning, but if you double lung it and the animal dies quickly no way I would eat it if it layed out all night in 60 degree weather.:pukey:
What John said...

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
willie said:
What John said...

EXCELLENT POINT! Thats why it's SO important to followup on that shot and determine where you hit the deer before you do anything....I don't care how dark it is and what you got going on...if you see good blood on the ground or on your arrow then follow up soon and get that deer outta the woods! If you hit guts then yes back out and give em time to stiffen up and die in their bed.

·
Premium Member
18,022 Posts
Tell you what, leave a steak out in 60 degree weather over night and then have it for dinner the next day and tell us about it. I think you'll not feel too good.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
AK-AZ said:
Tell you what, leave a steak out in 60 degree weather over night and then have it for dinner the next day and tell us about it. I think you'll not feel too good.
AMEN! THat made me queasy just thinking about it.....I get paranoid when I see my wife has left cold cuts out for more than 5 minutes haha...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I shot a 9 pt last bow season and it ran only about 100 and ran off a highwall. We found no blood that night but found enough to track it the next day. It was in the high 50s that night. Because it basically ran less than 100 yards and pretty much died instantly I did not eat the meat. I mounted the animal but I would not take a chance. It is not worth it. :pukey:

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
60 degrees you halve 3 hours and your time is cut in half for every ten after that 70 degrees 1 and a half,80 degrees 45 min,90 forget hunting.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
maybee-r said:
60 degrees you halve 3 hours and your time is cut in half for every ten after that 70 degrees 1 and a half,80 degrees 45 min,90 forget hunting.
That sounds about right....I know anytime it's the slightest bit warm I'm always thinking 4 hrs max...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts