Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question may have already been asked.
Can you get muzzy 100 grain 3 or 4 blades to fly with speeds >300?
Have used expandables in the past but would like to switch to muzzys.
Shooting an x force @65 pounds with g.tips xt hunters 29inches, chronoed @
309 fps with 100 gr field tips
Thanks for any help you guys could give:)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I gave up my Muzzy's and went to Jak-Hammers. My bow is running 306 and I could not get my Muzzy's to tune. THe Wasp Jak-Hammer SST's have been very reliable over the last 5 years and I would not go back to a fixed even it I knew it would fly right. I am in love wit their 1 3/4 cut.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I talked to the guy at archery shop I go to and he said that when Muzzys were designed, there were designed for bows shooting 250 and under. That may explain a lot.

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
I got my brothers X-Force shooting them great at just over 320 FPS. It took a bit of tuning but thats what he wanted to shoot. That said though if your wanting to shoot fixed blades I would recommend Wasp Boss broadheads over Muzzy. They are just as tough & are much more consistant than Muzzy. JMHO

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I have been shooting Muzzy for years and have now problems. From my bows that shot 260, to my current bow thats shoots 306. Tune your bow and broadhead tune and any fixed blade will fly.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
My bow shoots 300 and I shoot Muzzy 100 4 blades with no problems. They should fly great if your bow is tuned properly.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've shot them at over 300fps takes a little work. I changed to STs they are made to shoot 300fps+.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
like others have said, they should fly great for you IF you have your bow tuned perfectly. Do some broadhead tuning and forget about the other types.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses. I will follow up with a question.
Do any expandables stack up against fixed blades ie rage, or even the cheapie eastmans at wally world.
I remember shooting a doe once off the ground with a nap expandable at a sharp angle, it scittered down her rib cage and eventually she died from a completely external wound about 24 inch long gash. Vitals were intact. She might have healed, but after jumping her the first time, I continued to dog her until she finally succumed to the wound.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
Yep, I know a guy that was shooting the Muzzy 3 blade at 330fps accurately. It's all in the bow tune which really is not all that difficult.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
A couple of y'all crack me up! Tune the bow so that the arrow is leaving straight and the Muzzy will fly fine, as will any broadhead. You need straight arrows, with properly installed inserts, proper spine, etc. as well (still part of tuning IMO).

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
A learning point for all those who think paper tuning is a waste of time or who only use a single distance to paper tune. If you tune your bow well and paper tune properly, you can get great arrow flight from a fixed blade BH. Just to prove this point, I shot a field round with my Phantom MX BHs (2 arrows at a time then pulling, just to see what they would do - it is a pain carrying your BH target around a field range).

326 fps from my Monster at 56 pounds and Maxima 350 shafts yielded a 538 field round which is plenty good enough for any bowhunter and probably close to what I could do with an expandable. Muzzy BHs are the finest BHs I have used - durable, accurate and deadly. Regardless, any fixed blade can be shot accurately if you know how to tune your equipment.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
i had 75gr 3 blades flying great out of my omen at 352fps with a few adjustments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts