Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting my Z28 today and when i released it made a loud pop. arrow made it to the target at 20yards and had normal penetration. the nock was spit right down the middle all the way to the back of the arrow. I looked the bow over very well and everything appears okay. I drew it on my draw board and all appears well. Do you guys think there would be any damage that i cannot see that would make it unsafe to shoot?

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Should be fine, your nock was probably damaged before the shot.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I would also check the rest of my arrows before I shot them again.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
passinthru...if you are unsure, take the bow to your dealer and have them look it over for you. There may very well be damage that is not visible to you...something someone else may have experience with that you do not.

It sounds like your arrow nock may have been cracked and broke completely upon release. Hopefully, it did not damage limbs or cams.

If you are determined to find out for yourself after checking the bow over...you can turn the weight down and start with a minimum draw weight for that first shot. If everything seems to working well, turn the bow up a little at a time, until you reach your shooting draw weight.

But first, look everything over to make sure all appears to be fine, before attempting to draw and shoot the bow again.

All of this, jmho and attempt at your own risk...sb

·
Socket Man
23,804 Posts
Both of my dry fires have been because of knock failures, one resulted in string failure and splintered limbs and the other gave me cam failure. If the bow actually shot the arrow then it wasn't a full dry fire but still look over the bow for a few weeks and keep a eye on the string and cams and limbs for something to pop up.

I replace my knocks on a regular basis when i am really training, I found one split the other day and I had been shooting it for a while.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I always flex my arrows but have on occasion neglected to check my nocks close enough. I had one arrow that I tried two or three times to draw back and the arrow kept falling off the string. Finally I stopped and looked at the nock and realized that it had been hit during one of my earlier sessions. A scary reminder that "all" components need to be checked after each firing.

As far as your bow is concerned I suspect you are fine. If it still had enough weight pushing the arrow to the target it probably wouldn't be considered a dry fire and doubt it did did anything to your bow. If you are still suspect I would take it in to a pro-shop and have its yearly physical done. A good inspection, lube and tightening won't hurt it a bit.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Had the same exact experieince with the same exact bow a few weeks ago!! The tips of my cams ended up being bent slightly. Have been on order from Elite for about 3 weeks now. supposed to be in the mail this week. I didn't notice it but the guy at the archery shop spotted it right away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts