Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started archery about 5 weeks ago and have only shot indoors so far. I've gotten fairly good in this time, good for a complete novice anyway, and I'm going to start shooting outdoors soon. There's the Silver Arrow competition on in St Andrews in a few weeks which id like to take part in, and my club has said we'll get a couple of outdoor practice sessions before then.

I'm shooting barebow and my current setup is a 25" hoyt matrix riser with medium 32# samick privilege limbs and an 8125 string. The arrows are 29" platinum plus 1913. I think I have a 29" draw length, although I've not measure how much weight I'm drawing on the fingers, but it feels heavier than 32#.

I'm wondering if this setup might just about enable me to shoot at 100 yards, or even 80 yards would be enough as there are 2 different rounds I can shoot in, one of which has a max distance of 80 yards. It'd be pretty embarrassing if I was taking part in a competition where my arrows weren't even reaching the target!!

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
better play a little more first!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
80 or 100 yards outside with any bow is WAY different from 20 indoors, especially with a trad bow. Your bow might be able to get an arrow there, but it sounds like a recipe for disappointment and potentially for starting form issues trying to overdraw and such. Walk before you try to run.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I should wait a little longer, but I'm a very impatient guy, as you can probably deduce from that fact I bought my bow 3 weeks after starting out!! I would love to give it a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts