Archery Talk Forum banner

Will she be good in the a.m.

694 Views 14 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  hungry hollow
Hit a doe way far back tonight. I think I hit her in the front of the rear leg with a pass through the abdomin and out the other side.

Hardly any blood. Slight smearing on the arrow with white fur. Red blood on the fletching. She ran away with the hind end lowered and laboring.

I backed out after a short look around. found a couple drops only that looked like milky blood. The leaves were wet from earlier rain. Decided she was gut shot and left.

Temps now are 64 with a low of 54 at 6:00 am.

I'm afraid she may already be dead if I hit her in the hind quarters. It looked to hit her in the crease of the leg and belly.

Do you think she will be spoiled if I find her in the morning?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5,479 Posts
I think the main factor will be if she dies and more importantly WHEN she dies.

If she makes it a few hours and dies, and you find her right away she should be okay.

However if she is dead right now and you find her in the morning, it might be too warm.

If you find her I would field dress her and get her cut up right away.

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
my opinion she aint dead yet. she'll prolly die around 3 am or so. if you go out at daylight she should be fine. when you find her you'll know if she's ok or not. I would also recommend field dressing her and wash her out with a water hose asap and get her on ice right after that.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
my opinion she aint dead yet. she'll prolly die around 3 am or so. if you go out at daylight she should be fine. when you find her you'll know if she's ok or not. I would also recommend field dressing her and wash her out with a water hose asap and get her on ice right after that.
+1:darkbeer:

· Registered
90 Posts
If its legal

Are you able to debone in the field, if it’s legal, hang her up by the hind legs and debone in the field with the guts intact and get the meat cooled off asap!
If bloated, oh well!!!!

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If bloated, oh well!!!!

If she is not bloated, does that mean she should be fine? Obviously, if she were that would be a goner, but can she still be bad if not bloated?

That would make it easier to analyze.

Oh,, it's raining like crazy now.. No blood trail now!! :mad:

· Registered
1,065 Posts
My experiences are that she will probably take 2-6 hours to expire. Hopefully you didn't push her and she laid down not too far from where you last saw her. If you did you might have a hard time finding her depending on the terrain.. No blood trail generaly with gut shots... I bet the meat will be ok, unless she died really early..... there is always sausage or jerky?:tongue:

· Registered
890 Posts
3 of the 7 deer we killed last week in Ne. were left over night. The only problem we had was one of the neighboring dogs ate some of the hind quarter off one of them. The temps were in the low 40's too. I've left them over night here in La. in 60-70 temps at night and they were fine. Like said in an earlier post, if you can field quarter it, it would be better.
If it lives longer, then all the better. It means it would be dead a shorter period of time and less chance of spoilage.

Good Luck

· Registered
10,318 Posts
No, bloating does not mean the meat is spoiled at all. Someone mentioned 6 hours for gut shots, but I wait at least 8. If you would've hit the femoral, you would have found the blood, and on your arrow too.

Even if the result is spoiled meat in the morning, you made the right choice that gives you the best chance of recovery and meat salvage. Go in earlier, jump her up and your chances drop drastically.

· In 'Da Head
24,270 Posts
No, bloating does not mean the meat is spoiled at all. Someone mentioned 6 hours for gut shots, but I wait at least 8. If you would've hit the femoral, you would have found the blood, and on your arrow too.

Even if the result is spoiled meat in the morning, you made the right choice that gives you the best chance of recovery and meat salvage. Go in earlier, jump her up and your chances drop drastically.
Agreed...my rule of thumb is lung or heart 30 minutes, liver 4-5 hrs and gut 10-16 hrs. A femoral artery hit would've produced significant blood within 30 yards of the shot and the deer would've been dead in under 100 yards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.