Archery Talk Forum banner

Will the meat still be good?

760 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Terry A
I shot a doe about 10 minutes before end of shooting hours yesterday evening. I waiting 30 minutes before getting down to get my arrow, so it was completely black out. Found my arrow, which had pretty good blood, but also a slight hit of gut on it. There wasnt a great blood trail either, so I elected to back out and go back in the AM.

7am this morning, I went back, and followed her blood trail to where she crossed off our property and onto the neighbors. We have an agreement with our neighbors, if we can see the deer from the property line, go get it. If not, call. Well, went back in, called and got permission and went and got her. She was 75 yards from the property line, straight across a small field and into a thick brush finger. This was probably 9:30am. I am pretty sure she died last night shortly after I shot her, she was probably dead by 7pm last night. The shot hit a lung, liver and nicked the stomach, so there was stomach contents in her overnight.

I got her gutted, drug out, quartered and on ice by noon (while teaching a kid I work with how to skin and quarter a deer). The hanging tenders were shot :cry: but everything else looks and smelled fine.

It got down to 43 degress last night. Do you think her meat is still good? I will put up pictures later. Just wanted to check before I spend all the time processing her.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,135 Posts
I shot a doe about 10 minutes before end of shooting hours yesterday evening. I waiting 30 minutes before getting down to get my arrow, so it was completely black out. Found my arrow, which had pretty good blood, but also a slight hit of gut on it. There wasnt a great blood trail either, so I elected to back out and go back in the AM.

7am this morning, I went back, and followed her blood trail to where she crossed off our property and onto the neighbors. We have an agreement with our neighbors, if we can see the deer from the property line, go get it. If not, call. Well, went back in, called and got permission and went and got her. She was 75 yards from the property line, straight across a small field and into a thick brush finger. This was probably 9:30am. I am pretty sure she died last night shortly after I shot her, she was probably dead by 7pm last night. The shot hit a lung, liver and nicked the stomach, so there was stomach contents in her overnight.

I got her gutted, drug out, quartered and on ice by noon (while teaching a kid I work with how to skin and quarter a deer). The hanging tenders were shot :cry: but everything else looks and smelled fine.

It got down to 43 degress last night. Do you think her meat is still good? I will put up pictures later. Just wanted to check before I spend all the time processing her.
Gut her and skin her... then smell the meat... you'll know right away if it's not.:pukey: Chances are she's already started to turn... 43 degrees would be great if she was gutted and hanging up off of the ground... but she was whole and laying on the ground... both great insulators to keep that meat hot all night... you won't know till you "peel the onion" so to speak...

· Registered
14,752 Posts
It's gonna be impossible to say without seeing and smelling the meat. I'd at least throw a piece in a hot skillet and try it before deciding to throw it out.

My cousin had one similar 2 years ago in simlar temps that we determined was fine for consumption.

· Registered
6,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just took a few deep wiffs of the cooler where she is packed on ice. so far, smells like any other deer that I have put on ice... hopefully when I go to pack her tonight, all will be well

· Born To Hunt
6,149 Posts
Deer

Enjoy the meat it will be fine!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.