Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mathews has announced $50,000 contingency for winning Mens Championship in Vegas 2018. link

Considering that Hoyt has won 11 of the last 15 years, I guess Mathews has realized the only way they are ever going to win Vegas again is to make sure no one is shooting at Hoyt. Will it work?

Attachments

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,529 Posts
LOL - probably not but we'll see. That's a nice little paycheck for one archery tournament though.

·
Registered
24,973 Posts
Mathews has step things up IMO
That Halon series and their target line up is definitely nice. Very forgiving bows to shoot and tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Good for Mathews. More money in this sport means more pros which means more people knowing about it... spectators, sponsors, etc could turn archery into a much lesser, however just as exciting for us to watch, PGA tour.

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
Didn't realize Hoyt had dominated Vegas like that.
Makes it even more of a big deal that Jeff Hopkins did it with a one cam.

·
Registered
812 Posts
$50k for the Men's but only $15k for Women's is pretty lame. I know that there's always been a sizable gap in contingencies between those two classes, but the recent bounty on Vegas is a little discouraging.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Didn't realize Hoyt had dominated Vegas like that.
Makes it even more of a big deal that Jeff Hopkins did it with a one cam.
Alex Wifler won I️t just a few years ago with a solo cam. More than likely who ever wins Vegas in the men’s pro division will already be under a contract with a particular bow company so it’s not like Mike or Stephan will shoot a Mathews just for the 50 g’s. I️ guess Mathews is just putting more money into archery to draw more attention to I️t and to Mathews. If a Mathews shooter happens to win Vegas, that’s a lot of total $’s for a few days of slinging arrows. I️ bet the pucker factor for Chris Perkins and company has increased significantly.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Those are great numbers but I would think 3d trophys would be a little more relatable to me than shooting spots at 20 yards in doors in controlled conditions. No doubt impressive nonetheless.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$50k for the Men's but only $15k for Women's is pretty lame. I know that there's always been a sizable gap in contingencies between those two classes, but the recent bounty on Vegas is a little discouraging.
Well, there's 3x as many participants in Championship Open than Female Championship, so 3X more prize money is not out of line, plus women can shoot in Championship Open if they want. Also, even the $15K for Female is more than Mathews pays for 1st in Mens Pro at any other event, and it's more than the other manufacturers pay men for 1st at Vegas.

Gearhead put up some crazy numbers last year ($30K) but I'm pretty sure they just did it as a promo stunt, knowing there wasn't a snowballs chance they'd have to pay it, Mathews on the other hand better have it in the budget. I doubt any/many will switch this late in the game just because of contingency, but I'm sure current Mathews shooters just cleared a little more time on their schedules for practice time. lol

·
Registered
783 Posts
I’m rooting for Jesse this year. I hope he has gotten his confidence level where it needs to be with the TRX.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I'm a Hoyt guy but Mathews is leaving Hoyt in the dust. They have let most of their good shooters slip away....I think Mathews will dominate Vegas this year. Mike Scholoesser is Hoyt's main weapon...If he's not hitting on all cylinders, I think Mathews will bring home a winner.

·
#teamPSE
5,566 Posts
Well, there's 3x as many participants in Championship Open than Female Championship, so 3X more prize money is not out of line, plus women can shoot in Championship Open if they want. Also, even the $15K for Female is more than Mathews pays for 1st in Mens Pro at any other event, and it's more than the other manufacturers pay men for 1st at Vegas.

Gearhead put up some crazy numbers last year ($30K) but I'm pretty sure they just did it as a promo stunt, knowing there wasn't a snowballs chance they'd have to pay it, Mathews on the other hand better have it in the budget. I doubt any/many will switch this late in the game just because of contingency, but I'm sure current Mathews shooters just cleared a little more time on their schedules for practice time. lol
I heard Gearhead is paying $50K and in any class. Theres a guy in Bowhunter FS that has been shooting one the last two years. Shoots it pretty well too.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm a Hoyt guy but Mathews is leaving Hoyt in the dust. They have let most of their good shooters slip away....I think Mathews will dominate Vegas this year. Mike Scholoesser is Hoyt's main weapon...If he's not hitting on all cylinders, I think Mathews will bring home a winner.
It's true that Hoyt seems to be losing a lot of good shooters and not picking any up to offset, but they still have plenty of good shooters that can get into the finals and/or win. Schloesser, Anderson, Ryals, Tate Morgan,Houser, Pagni, Bee are a few of the remaining Hoyt shooters that have been in the Vegas shoot down in the last couple years and could easily be there again.

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
Alex Wifler won I️t just a few years ago with a solo cam. More than likely who ever wins Vegas in the men’s pro division will already be under a contract with a particular bow company so it’s not like Mike or Stephan will shoot a Mathews just for the 50 g’s. I️ guess Mathews is just putting more money into archery to draw more attention to I️t and to Mathews. If a Mathews shooter happens to win Vegas, that’s a lot of total $’s for a few days of slinging arrows. I️ bet the pucker factor for Chris Perkins and company has increased significantly.

Forgot about Wifler.
That was the year Levi missed out on a big opportunity to win his first Vegas.
Levi choked that one away, he should have won it, jmo !
Wifler, a former recurve shooter, came out of nowhere and broke their hearts.
He won Lancaster the next year and looked like a world beater but has trailed off considerably since.
Guess the chart above should show 2 men's winners for Mathews !

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Been there , seen it go down a few times..
Its any given sunday- these guys are good- real good !!

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
I'm wondering what it'll do to the "on the fence" seniors and ladies (maybe even some of the youth).

Will that be enough for someone like Tanya Jensen, Jesse Clayton, Duane Price to jump to Open?

·
Back Yard Champion
29,746 Posts
Nope, stats in the chart are accurate for the last 15 years, Hopkins won in 2001 (17 years ago.)
Yep, Jeff did in the Shoot Off with Dave Cousins...Good Ole 3D Times gave of it, Dave trying edge Jeff with "I've never shot for $20,000 before. You nervous?" Jeff replied; "No. I've shot for $50,000.00 before." That would be when ASA had some bigger sponsor. Beer company I believe.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Levi should declare himself female in between the shoots and clean sweep them both.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts