Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a bonehead thing...DRY-FIRED MY VFT! I pulled it back without a release, as I was describing how a peep sight works, to my inquisitive 9 yr. old daughter. She wanted to look through it at my pins, to see if she was interested in putting one on her bow...when all of a sudden, the string slipped out of my fingers. I could've sat down and bawled. I eyeballed it over and didn't see any noticeable damage. Is it necessary to have it tore down and gone over, or should it be o.k.? Now is not the time of year to have your bow torn down, besides, everything is dialed in really nice. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Chances are everything is probably not dialed in real nice anymore. Yes, I would definitely have your local pro shop look at the bow. Maybe that everything is okay, but I would have it looked at to be absolutely sure.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Better safe than sorry - have it looked at. Your proshop should be able to tear it down and put it back together just like it was and have you shooting just the same as you were with probably no more than a few adjustments.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Bowtechs seem to be pretty resistant to dryfire damage. I have seen a few dryfired at the local shop and the owner doesn't even get really worked up about it (of course they aren't the new ones on the rack!). He always checks them out really well, but Iv'e never seen him find any damage.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There's a good chance everything is OK

But just to make sure, have it checked out. You won't be comfortable with that bow until you do !!:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dang!!!!!!!

Hey man you may be in luck.
I think you dry fired the right bow. If bow tec is good for something it is dry fire. You do need to have it looked over real well by a shop but what I would look at hard is the serving string on you bow string. That is what takes a pounding on dry fires. I deal lots with dry fires and usually the bow itself is fine but the string is cooked. So check it out.

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
I dry fired my '02 Pat while trying to set up a Trophy Taker rest on it:eek: I was drawing it with my fingers and watching the rest pop up when I hit the stop pin and found out how soild the wall was. I pulled the string right through my fingers and a dry fire resulted, the quietest and most vibration free dry fire I've ever heard:rolleyes: I checked every thing out and it's still shooting with precision 18 months later:D

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
They generally handle dry fires pretty well (at least my demos do) but you should still have it checked out just in case.

If something's wrong with it, it's better to get it fixed now instead of after that big ole buck had just passed underneath you.... :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just returned from my local Bowtech dealer. He says what he notices most about Bowtech dry fires, is that there's a spot on the cam that cracks or seperates. He checked it out pretty hard, and says everything looks o.k. He put a mark on the cam where the problem area is, so I can keep an eye on it. The serving on my cable did show noticeable damage, so he re-served it for me. He says he could tear it all down, but thinks it's good to go. Can't wait to shoot it to see if anything moved at all. Thanks for all your opinions and advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts