Archery Talk Forum banner

Next upgrade- Stab or scope/sight ?

Will you help me decide my next UPGRADE- Scope/Sight or Stabilizer ??

887 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  ZC123
So here's the deal. I just got into archery five months ago. I typically like buying top-notch quality and above my skill set. I bot the Mathews TRX 40, I do not hunt, only target and 3D. I initially bot a cheap all-inclusive set that included whisker biscuit, scope/sight, 6 inch stabilizer all for $130 so you can imagine the quality. I've upgraded to a decent Mathews rest and now am considering my next upgrade, the sight/scope combination OR front/back stabilizer? The real question is which of the two upgrades will help me with my accuracy and longevity in the sport. I am currently shooting at 20 yards in my back yard and infrequently at 30 at the local range. I use a Truball GOAT release. Also please be so kind to let me know what you like as far as a stabilizer or sighting combo. Thanks in advance AT community, you guys are great!
Reactions: MarkVIIIMarc
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
PSE Stinger Max, 55lb,4x mag, 400 grain X5Envy arrows, 1/2 w/ factory 4" vanes, 1/2 w/Hellfire twist
3,795 Posts
I am in a similar boat experience wise but don't come off the money as easily. I can ad two cents but not an answer.

Recently I added a 4x magnifying lens to my sight. I like it, my 3D printed mount has been reliable but I'm not sure its made any difference at 20 and 30 yards. Maybe if you get one you'll want to "open things up" at the range? Being able to see where my pins are on the target at greater ranges is the benefit. So while I'm a big fan of adding things you don't have rather than making an incrimental improvement I don't know if you'll benefit much from magnification.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in a similar boat experience wise but don't come off the money as easily. I can ad two cents but not an answer.

Recently I added a 4x magnifying lens to my sight. I like it, my 3D printed mount has been reliable but I'm not sure its made any difference at 20 and 30 yards. Maybe if you get one you'll want to "open things up" at the range? Being able to see where my pins are on the target at greater ranges is the benefit. So while I'm a big fan of adding things you don't have rather than making an incrimental improvement I don't know if you'll benefit much from magnification.
Thanks for your input

· Registered
23,047 Posts
If you are changing sights, I would take a look at the DS Advantage target sight. Would classified as the best machined sight & also has the most color combinations to match your bow. Buy once & cry once.

· Registered
1,764 Posts
I would do stabilizer set up also. I would get the bow balanced out then get a nicer sight. I know a bunch frown but I can tell a big difference in my groups when I have my front an side stab on compared to shooting with it off an that's just a hunting set up. Not having to get bubble level alone will help in groups because you will have one less thing to think about. It helps my hold times and mental game.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would do stabilizer set up also. I would get the bow balanced out then get a nicer sight. I know a bunch frown but I can tell a big difference in my groups when I have my front an side stab on compared to shooting with it off an that's just a hunting set up. Not having to get bubble level alone will help in groups because you will have one less thing to think about. It helps my hold times and mental game.
Thanks for the great answer, honestly that is what I was feeling/thinking all along. Why would "a bunch frown...", I assume you mean in getting a STAB set?

· Registered
1,764 Posts
Thanks for the great answer, honestly that is what I was feeling/thinking all along. Why would "a bunch frown...", I assume you mean in getting a STAB set?
I know your just target so people probably wouldn't frown but there are alot of people on AT that say stabilizers are not needed and side stabilizers is worthless. You get that more on the hunting side though. The 6 inch really isn't doing you justice at all. Good luck. Can't wait to see the final product.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

· Registered
271 Posts
if you aren't having a lot of trouble with pin float i would get a nice slider sight first. If you are then get a longer stab. I like your philosophy about buying top notch stuff to grow into. I'm the same way. HHA sights are nice, I have one for sale, i'll throw in a free carbon stab thats longer than yours.

· Registered
25 Posts
I would go with getting a front/rear stabilizer set first. If you decide to get a sight with a scope and you are having issues with pin float, it could amplify the movement and create target panic. Stabs first to tighten your groups and reduce pin float, then a sight/scope to increase accuracy at longer ranges.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.