Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's not much news about it but it seems USRA has changed the name back to WRA and the Model 70 is back in production (through Browning, not the New Haven plant).
The Model 70 line is MUCH smaller than it was (my favorite varminter, the Stealth isn't there) and there have been a few changes.

Good changes are what made the Model 70 great in most people's eyes, the feed/ejection.
But I'm not sure about 2 other changes which is what made them great in my eyes. The trigger and safety.

·
The Foam Collector
2,335 Posts
Browning don't make guns, they put there name on cheep imports. Save your money and buy a real gun.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don't like Winchesters you could simply pass the thread on by and go shoot your Remington with the trigger group that has more parts than a watch and the quality of a Timex.
Made in the USA doesn't guarantee quality and import doesn't always mean junk.

Yeah, those damn cheap junk foreign FNs (which are made in Columbia, South Carolina).

I don't know what the old announcement about Browning about but I finally found the press release from Winchester about the Model 70 specifically.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/services/press/detail.asp?ID=47
It makes sense though since all three trace back to the same owners.

Being made in the FN plant explains the changes. I think the FN Model 70 types were always pre-64 design and probably had the modifications that now apply to the Winchesters.

I think I may save my money and buy a real gun, an FN made Winchester Model 70.

·
Banned
2,867 Posts
From what I understand, the Pre 64 model 70 was designed with a lot of suggestions and ideas from Elmer Keith.....

Now, if Keith had a hand in it, it has to be good.....

Smith 29, 645; Ruger Super Blackhawk and Bisley anyone????

·
The Foam Collector
2,335 Posts
I love Winchesters, just don't care for the Browning name, they are one and the same these days you know.

·
Banned
2,867 Posts
Thats sort of a tradition.....

From what I can remember (and remember, I am a pistolero, not a rifleman, so this is NOT my field) Winchester was founded by Smith and Wesson as the Volcanic Repeating Arms company.
They created a finger ring lever operated pistol.
They sold the company to B. Tyler Henry. He modified the design and made the Henry rifle from it. By the early 1860s, he sold the company to Oliver Winchester, who changed the name to Winchester.
In 1866 he added a wooden forend to the Henry Rifle and changed the feed/loading system and "created" the 1866 Winchester, aka the Yellowboy....
It was modified again in 1873 to come out with "the other gun that won the west.' (The real gun that won the west being the Colt revolver).
Oliver died and left the company to his wife, who was crazy and overly influenced by the "spiritualists" of her day, leading her to build the Winchester Mystery House...
I don't know how many times they changed hands after that...

But changing hands is a Winchester tradition....It was before he even bought into the company....

That Browning now owns it is sort of the ultimate one upsmanship. Browning designed many of Winchesters most popular models such as the .30-30 model 1894....and he had a falling out with Winchester and Colt, which lead to his agreements with FN in the first doggone place....

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love Winchesters, just don't care for the Browning name, they are one and the same these days you know.
That was incorrect information based on an early press release.

The real information is that FN is the factory making the Model 70's.
Given that the FN police/military Model 70 was a step up from Winchester's Stealth I think they can do a good job.

I still don't know what the trigger or safety changes are and since those were the two major reasons I liked the Model 70 even post-'64 push feed designs the changes could keep me from buying one.

I really wouldn't care who made them or where they were made as long as they have the simple trigger, safety set up the same and an easily field stripable bolt. I've never had a controlled round feed to know if I'd like it, but since I save brass and hate having to search the floor of the woods for where my 223 brass flew to I'm sure I would.

As for the 1894, I've got 2, old ones, I like Marlin's better.

·
Registered
917 Posts
i believe that the new 70's are pretty much the same design as they were when they quite making them in late 05, 06?....my dad won of the last originaly made model 70's at a rocky mountain elk foundation banquet 2 years ago, and they gave away a new one this year in early march and it was relatively the same...diffrent design stock

and as for anyone dissing winchester or browing....they produce some of the best shotguns in the world in my opinion...the browining over and unders are amazing and i personally own a SX3 and it is a mean machine no doubt....so smooth....

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
:RockOn: :RockOn: :RockOn:

This is good news. Thanks Myk. My next gun purchase is going to be a .308 bolt action. I will keep an eye out for the model 70. I had my eye on a Savage 110 or 112 and Mossberg ATR. I really like the Remington model 7.

This is going to be tough.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
i believe that the new 70's are pretty much the same design as they were when they quite making them in late 05, 06?
They had push feed, controlled push feed and controlled feed then.
Now they just have controlled feed like pre-'64 design.

And they've done something to the trigger and safety, as far as I recall the trigger on my '02 is the same as the trigger on my friend's '36.

So they've gone back to pre-64 on the extractor/ejector and who knows what they did to the trigger and safety.

If you get one archery ham take some pictures of the trigger assembly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts