Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda new at the turkey hunting here.Gonna be kinda windy here in IL. it looks like and I was just wondering how birds react to a lot of wind. Will they go out in the open like they do in rain or lay low in the woods?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Well even in states where the wind blows most all the time the birds don't like it. It messes up their senses making them more vulnerable . That said, in western SD on a real windy day(even for there) I watched these two big boys strutting and trying to impress a few hens.. They were fine until they turned with the wind, it would catch their tails and they would go screaming past the hens ! Was the funniest turkey thing I've ever seen.. The girls still were not impressed even by these fast gobblers but the boys kept trying and trying , had to be pretty worn out by the time they gave it up .. Strut into the wind hard work, turn with the wind and zoom!

The way I see it is if you can go then go you are not going to get one if you are not out there. Try and find small fields that are protected from the worst of the wind and look more than call, they don't talk much when it is windy. Randy

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Hunting in high wind is the toughest . Turkeys dont like to be vocal on these days. They dont like to move around as much, since cant hear or see danger as well. A semi wind break like a large hollow in woods sometimes works. I have also seen them out in middle of fields also. Sorry not much help but it is tough in strong wind conditions. The gobblers I have taken have always come in quiet under these conditions. good luck

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Hunting in high wind is the toughest . Turkeys dont like to be vocal on these days. They dont like to move around as much, since cant hear or see danger as well. A semi wind break like a large hollow in woods sometimes works. I have also seen them out in middle of fields also. Sorry not much help but it is tough in strong wind conditions. The gobblers I have taken have always come in quiet under these conditions. good luck
+1. Excellent advice:thumbs_up Look for wind breaks in the timber or along field edges.I can't count the times I've stalked up on a hollow in the timber on a windy day and have birds scatter!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the info !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts