Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a particularly rough session in the wind I wonder:

Is it better to cant the bow than aim off?

In your experiences, which one do you use?

If your eyesight isn't all it can be, would that make a difference in your choice?

Does canting the bow also have an effect on the elevation of the arrow?

Does the speed of your arrow and it's particular wind drift make a difference in which technique you would use?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I personally aim off if the wind is gusting. For steady persistent wind, I move the sight. For the record, I have my no wind zeroes recorded for both windage and elevation.

I don't like canting because I try to keep my shot simple and repeatable, and I don't want to introduce canting as another element I have to keep track of. I'm unsure whether eyesight would determine my choice.

I'm sure canting would change the elevation a bit. I think Joe Tapley's site covers this.

·
Genesis 21:20
22,531 Posts
I completely agree with Calbowdude's approach.

Steady wind - move sight. Gusty wind, aim off.

I know some have reported trouble with aiming off unless they have a pin or dot. I have been fortunate in that I haven't experienced that problem. I have been able to aim off well enough with an open ring. I attribute that to shooting "instinctively" for so many years, and picking a spot to shoot to without a sight. Once I introduced the sight aperature (ring) this didn't change for me. In fact, a pin, or dot actually interfered with this process. Others need the pin to aim off.

You will find what works for you.

John.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Cant at long range FITA shooting is complicated.

The mechanics of canting involves both lateral as well as vertical elements of effect on the arrow in a radial pattern. In ideal no wind conditions, it can be practised to a predicatable degree.

However, canting also induces other elements: namely, the way it will affect your form and how that will drastically affect your arrow.

Unlike long-range rifle shooting up to 300m, where a shooter's arc of movement is still less than 2 or 3/8th of an inch as compared to the 3, 4,5 or 10 inches an archer is blown around, erratically sometimes in windy conditions, I suspect that canting in archery would be a lot more difficult to master and predict in real-life shooting conditions. However, there will always be a world champion ... the exception among the millions that will buck the trend. :D

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Since this question is on the F.I.T.A. site I presume you're asking about canting with a recurve......... most recurvers hold off for the reasons stated above. However, canting can be very successful if it's used in conjunction with a level (not allowed on recurves)...... good compound shooters use their "bubble" and cant their bow in the wind very successfully. - John

·
Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
I shoot mainly compound and cant. I simply struggle to aim off with my compound. I know the amount of bubble required depending on the strength of the wind.
However with a recurve you ust aim off because you don't have the bubble to accurately tell you how far you have to cant. It won't be consistant.
Your strongest weapon in eth wind however is alignment, strength and timing. Don't mess around at full draw, get the shot away fast and your scores will improve.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I can only agree with Marcus on this

I found that canting gives me a lower impact so I rather aim off in gusty conditions. However I most often don´t do anything besides concentrate on form and execution of the shot no matter the wind.

I shoot compound btw

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Swede said:
I can only agree with Marcus on this

I found that canting gives me a lower impact so I rather aim off in gusty conditions. However I most often don´t do anything besides concentrate on form and execution of the shot no matter the wind.

I shoot compound btw
Thank you Swede,

I was asking for experiences, not theories...I can read those ad nauseum in all the books that have come out.

·
Archery Coach
23,297 Posts
constant, move the sight, gusts wait or aim off.

I think it was Guy Gerig who told me he shifts string alignment to deal with aiming off so he can still center the gold.

I fortunately used to shoot alot of pistol. THough I am a "Tone or Rabska" school shooter, I can switch to concentrating on the pin while still focusing on the back end of the shot if I have to (at least I could at one time :confused: )

·
Registered
289 Posts
I aim off in the wind, but find that the arrow will also drop a ring. The wind perhaps reduces some of the arrows energy. So as well as aiming left/right, I also have to aim up a ring. I find canting unreliable but agree that it does work, I shoot recurve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts