Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have a hoyt alphamax 35 and I have just put a copper john dead nuts 3 battleaxe sight on it. The only way I can get my arrows to land on center is to set the windage bar so far left that its barely hanging on. What am I doing wrong? Is the windage bar too short? Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sounds like your center shot is off. How did you set it?
Yea set your rest so that the rest is center of the string and riser. Go to like ten yards and move your sight until you group in The center. Then to to 50 or 60 yards or further and shoot at the same target only move your rest until the arrows group on the center. Go bak and repeat until your arrows hit the center at 10 and 60 yds

·
Registered
944 Posts
Do you have a peep sight on your bow? Do you close one eye or keep both open when you shoot? Are you left or right handed, and which eye is dominant?

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
just for a quick and dirty check.....
lay one of your shafts against the inside of the window on your riser, just above the rest and parallel to how your arrow would be, nocked, on the bow. hold the shaft tightly against the riser and measure from the shaft to the center of your rest and do the same at your string, these two measurement should be real close to the same. if not your center shot is off.
move the rest to match the measurement at the string and then paper shoot. if you can't get decent left or right tears with a small adjustment or two, you probably have incorrect shafts for your draw weight and/or length, given that you're not torqueing the grip, when you shoot.
quick and easy way to find out if your spine is decent would be to increase or decrease draw weight until tears get better. if you have to increase weight to improve tears, you need a stiffer shaft.....if you need to lower the weight, you need softer shafts.
changing point weight, either up or down, might help, but usually point weight makes the difference between good tight groups, or not, when the center shot is already correct an the right spine shaft is already being used.
if you can't get rid of the tear, take a shaft and lay it on the cams, and see if the shaft lays parallel to the string, if it's not real close, twist your yoke sides to bring the shaft parallel to the string.
this is just a decent method to get a good starting point, fine tuning may require more smaller adjustments of both rest and yoke, but it will get you in the ballpark . it's usually best to establish good cam lean first, by paper shooting to get the best tear with the rest set as described, and then tune the center shot to a bullet hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts