Archery Talk Forum banner

Windstalker redux

740 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  AKDoug 
#1 ·
I set up my Windstalker on my Newberry Sabre last month and I was extremely happy even though I gained a couple pounds on the draw.

Today I decided that my "just barely" touching cables were probably touching just a little too much. When I originally set it up I was extremely paranoid of cutting the rod too short. Today I said the heck with it and starting grinding up a little at a time using an upside down belt sander. I managed to take off a 1/4" more off the rod from the point I "thought" I was good. Using the advice of somebody here at AT I ended up just a touch short, then drew the bow to allow the cables to set right where they wanted the STS to sit. Then I cinched down the set screw good and hard. Now, my cables are truely just barely touching and this thing is even better than I thought.

I wish I had the ability to do accurate sound testing, but my bow is noticably quieter after I made this small adjustment. The second thing I noticed was how much smoother the bow was on the draw.

I think that some folks that are having cable wear and other issues with the Windstalker might want to check and see if the Windstalker is still too tight on the cables.

#2 ·
just did the same thing today mate!

i thought i had it set just right but was noticing some serious cable wear so took the windstalker off and ground down an extra 1/8". went out in the backyard and shot 25 arrows at a vegas target - 20 x's (don't get too excited - it's only 10 yards). but loved the way the bow felt on the shot, so smooth, so quiet....i'm convinced i had the windstalker rod a tad long.

this is one area where the goods folks at windstalker could invest some time and help their customers - how to setup the windstalker for optimum results. i'm sure there are enough bows out there now with the windstalker installed for them to get some solid data on how long the rod needs to be for each bow/model. i was amazed at how much i had to cutoff the rod with the first cut. talk about waste.

#3 ·
AKDoug said:
Using the advice of somebody here at AT I ended up just a touch short, then drew the bow to allow the cables to set right where they wanted the STS to sit. Then I cinched down the set screw good and hard. Now, my cables are truely just barely touching and this thing is even better than I thought.
Doug,

I think I'll give this a shot on my Allegiance. Did you happen to check your poundage again? Any change?

#4 ·
One more question. Did you guys tighten down the WS with the upper and lower arms offset, (not vertical) if they so desired following the draw cycle?

#5 ·
i did not offset the arms, i set mine parallel to the riser. that's a good thought - i'm going to take a look at tweaking it to see if the arms want to reposition themselves based on their orientation to the cable/string.

#6 ·
I had my vane clearance set from the first setup. After taking some more off the rod I loosened the set screw and let the whole setup free-float as I drew back. After a half dozen draws and slow letdowns I tightened up the cable rod set screw. I never loosened the other set screws on the WS itself. When I was done drawing and letting down I noticed the cables were sitting off the WS cable stop by 1/16". I decided to shoot it a few shots to see if the cables would end up setting on the stop after the shock of the shot. Yep, they laid right on the stop then. Right where I wanted them to. I feel this method sets up the WS where the bow wants it to be and with the least amount of fore and aft tension, as well as sets the cables in the slots with the least amount of side tension that can be obtained.

I think that we were all so paranoid about cutting these things short that we weren't going far enough. In my short time of testing it appears that there is not much fore and aft effect on the rod from the WS on the shot. I am not nervous about the fact that the rod is only held in place by the set screw and not bottomed in the hole. If a guy is nervous about this he can fill the end of the hole in the riser with a small amount of epoxy clay dropped in the bottom and then press fitted in with the WS rod.

I am getting quite a bit of wear on the slider pads on the WS. I am going to keep a close eye on them and see what happens. It might have been a product of my earlier setup issues.

#7 ·
ffwildcat said:
i did not offset the arms, i set mine parallel to the riser. that's a good thought - i'm going to take a look at tweaking it to see if the arms want to reposition themselves based on their orientation to the cable/string.
Let us know your findings. Good post Doug! :thumbs_up

#8 ·
AKDoug said:
I am getting quite a bit of wear on the slider pads on the WS. I am going to keep a close eye on them and see what happens. It might have been a product of my earlier setup issues.
I have the same issue. my top small slot has a deep groove worn in it. none of the other slider pads show any wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.