Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. This took alot of work and alot of frustration, BUT I finally got the dropdown to work. I have an '06 Allegiance, and while waxing my strings, hence removing them from the windstalker, I noticed that the windstalker forced the allegiance to change the crossing point of the cables. So I set about lowering the windstalker 1 & 3/8s inches, by use of an "s" rod from CoolHandLuke. Thanks again Luke. Anyway, once I removed the steel pins holding the straight rod on to the windstalker, (easier said than done) I added the new offset rod, reassembled and HOLY COW. What a difference!!!! I cant believe how much this changed the smoothness of the draw cycle! Plus there is no cable wear. I mean, to put it in perspective, I breifly had no cable guard attached and drew the bow, just to see how smooth it was. Then I added the offset windstalker and...nothing. The exact same smoothness. Maybe added a little draw weight, but I finally got the windstalker to work right on my setup. It feels great! I scratched it a little, but it was well worth it!

Attachments

·
Vendor
35,745 Posts
Oh great, just when I thought I had my protec to that non-tinkering point, you go and do this; thanks alot!

Seriously though, I like your idea. I might have to pm cool luke and get one of those "S" rods. That darn thing is just eating the hell out my cables.

Good Job!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scottie, Thanks! Since I recently finished the mod, I haven't had time to do a really long shoot. Tomorrow I will be going out to a range and should spend a while there. I will report back with info on long term cable wear, since I know this to be a common windstalker problem for some. I will have more performance details tomorrow!

·
Vendor
35,745 Posts
Thanks Brian. I am anxious to hear how it works for you. In particular, the cable wear. On my Protec, with just the regular windstalker, I gained 3 lbs. of draw weight as well. It works good and it is really quiet and smooth, but the cable wear is ridiculous. I like the idea of crossing the cables more at the centershot like you've done.

Let us know your results.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Anxious to hear more about this also. I've got a Windstalker on my Ally and the very noticable cable wear makes me nervous. I find the draw on my bow to be quite smooth already but if this is a trick to smooth it up even more AND eliminate cable wear, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Brian D. said:
Alright. This took alot of work and alot of frustration, BUT I finally got the dropdown to work. I have an '06 Allegiance, and while waxing my strings, hence removing them from the windstalker, I noticed that the windstalker forced the allegiance to change the crossing point of the cables. So I set about lowering the windstalker 1 & 3/8s inches, by use of an "s" rod from CoolHandLuke. Thanks again Luke. Anyway, once I removed the steel pins holding the straight rod on to the windstalker, (easier said than done) I added the new offset rod, reassembled and HOLY COW. What a difference!!!! I cant believe how much this changed the smoothness of the draw cycle! Plus there is no cable wear. I mean, to put it in perspective, I breifly had no cable guard attached and drew the bow, just to see how smooth it was. Then I added the offset windstalker and...nothing. The exact same smoothness. Maybe added a little draw weight, but I finally got the windstalker to work right on my setup. It feels great! I scratched it a little, but it was well worth it!

You bet! :wink:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it sure works for me guys. There is definitely less cable wear. Actually there is pretty much NO noticeable cable wear. I am very happy with the mod.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Brian,

Whats involved with removing the steel pins like you mentioned? Are there certain tools you found worked? Was there any retuning necessary after the mod?

And for CHL, should I PM you for cost and availability or can you post in the clear?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
pacman said:
Brian,

Whats involved with removing the steel pins like you mentioned? Are there certain tools you found worked? Was there any retuning necessary after the mod?

And for CHL, should I PM you for cost and availability or can you post in the clear?

Thanks!

Ditto

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys. I am gonna go ahead and write up a procedure so that others can do this. It may take a few days as it is somewhat lengthy and difficult. The windstalker is well made and the pin was very difficult to remove. I actually bent one windstalker trying to remove the pin. I will do my best to walk folks through, and am confident that you guys can do it, but I take no responsibility for anything if it gets damaged. I will post it in .pdf format complete with pictures probably around mid-week.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Roger that dude, thanks! Looking forward to it.

·
Vendor
35,745 Posts
can't wait Brian. This is mighty nice of you to do this for everyone.

CHL; how about some pricng for that "S" rod?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts