Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in PA we can't bait (illegal) nor would i want to... such a cheat and cop out. Still amazed that some states allow it. No reason for it. However I was planning on putting out food for the deer after late season ends just to keep deer in the area. Has anyone done this and do you find it works when next season rolls back around? I'd like to see if I can somewhat "manage" deer herds little more in my little hunting area better. Its a daunting task though since its state land but fortunately no one hunts this area so possibilities are there to try to get deer more "interested" in this area if I can keep food there for them during the long cold winter (and spring for that matter). Whats been others' experience with this?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Better check with your local game warden, this still sounds like "baiting." I won't swear to it but I'm pretty sure here in Wy even off-season feeding is not allowed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Baiting is feeding while hunting... as long as theres no form of the "food" within 30 days of a hunt your good here in PA.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I too live in PA, you would be better off waiting until the late muzzleloader/archery season is over just to be safe!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too live in PA, you would be better off waiting until the late muzzleloader/archery season is over just to be safe!
Yes, as mention originally I am waiting until after late season ends...Even though I dont hunt this late season anyway...So theoretically I suppose I could get started but no reason to "help" other hunters that might be out there :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in PA. It's illegal to feed wildlife anytime of year. Even bird feeders.
Think how many fines could be dished out from the Game Commision with citations for a functional bird feeder in their backyard :set1_rolf2: man... all their deficits could finally be resolved. Why didn't they think of that? I probably couldnt find a house WITHOUT a bird feeder.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In Wisconsin, it illegal to feed / bait deer anytime in most of the state due to Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD).
For other areas, it is allowed but feeding may attract significant numbers of deer which increases the risk of disease transmission, such as CWD and tuberculosis, as well
as causes stress or injury to deer through fighting.
We never do it during hunting or otherwise.
But.... we have tried making food plots.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
BaitingFrom the PA game commission site
Baiting is allowed in the Southeast Special Regulations Area by
permit only. Elsewhere in the state, it is unlawful to hunt in or
around any area where artificial or natural bait, food, hay, grain,
fruit, nuts, salt, chemicals or minerals, including their residues, are
used, or have been used within the past 30 days, as an enticement
to lure game or wildlife regardless of the type or quantity. Hunters
are responsible for ensuring that the hunting area has not been
baited before they begin hunting. They should physically inspect the
area and question landowners, guides and caretakers. This section
does not pertain to hunting near areas where accepted farming or
habitat-management practices are taking place (example: hunting
near food plots on game lands is legal). Any natural or manmade
nonliving bait can be used to attract coyotes for hunting or trapping.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I used to watch elk almost everyday eating out of bird feeders when I would drive up to St. Marys for work.

Since I don't hunt late season, I usually throw a salt block and mineral block back out and leave them there until Aug before archery comes back in. I hunt on my own property though...

As for state game lands, like others have said, I think that's illegal. Plus, if someone else is hunting there, they can't have any type of bait within 100 yards of them. That's also on them to be aware of their surroundings though......

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Think how many fines could be dished out from the Game Commision with citations for a functional bird feeder in their backyard :set1_rolf2: man... all their deficits could finally be resolved. Why didn't they think of that? I probably couldnt find a house WITHOUT a bird feeder.
He said "on state land" i believe

·
Registered
1 Posts
They had a problem with winter feeding in southern NH a couple of years ago.

CONCORD, N.H. -- The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department today reported that twelve deer were discovered dead in South Hampton, N.H., on March 20, 2015, most likely the victims of well-intentioned, but tragically fatal, supplemental feeding by local residents.

N.H. Fish and Game Biologists and a Conservation Officer had responded to a report of six dead deer in a wooded suburban area in South Hampton. Upon locating the deer, Fish and Game staff searched the surrounding area and found another six deceased deer, bringing the total to twelve. Biologists conducted field necropsies on eight of the animals, which indicated that they had died from complications caused by winter feeding. The deer were found within roughly 300 feet of one another and all exhibited the same symptoms.

Two deer were brought to the University of New Hampshire (UNH) Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory for further analysis. Following a more detailed examination, the UNH Veterinary Diagnostic Lab concluded that evidence in the two deer examined was consistent with death due to enterotoxemia; a condition caused by a rapid change in diet often associated with winter feeding. Results from microscopic analysis are expected to help to further confirm this diagnosis.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's insane... Im feeding my birds even if I border state land. My head spins from all their rules most the time. In fact Im putting the feeder on the boundry line.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
be careful what you feed some feed can hurt or even kill deer in winter. corn is one...
Please don’t let the deer in my area read this. I’ve been feeding mine for three years now, and I do NOT hunt over my feeder site. I’m not killing anything having a snack.

To and from, yes. But I’m at least 90 yards away from my feeder site.

I honestly don’t know how you can say this, when deer feed on corn in Ohio all the time. Soybeans, too.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
From what I understand, if your deer were eating corn from the fields all fall up until the winter, it won't hurt those deer since they are used to it. Its the deer that don't have ag fields around and then gorge themselves on a pile of corn that can have issues.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
So in PA we can't bait (illegal) nor would i want to... such a cheat and cop out. Still amazed that some states allow it. No reason for it. However I was planning on putting out food for the deer after late season ends just to keep deer in the area. Has anyone done this and do you find it works when next season rolls back around? I'd like to see if I can somewhat "manage" deer herds little more in my little hunting area better. Its a daunting task though since its state land but fortunately no one hunts this area so possibilities are there to try to get deer more "interested" in this area if I can keep food there for them during the long cold winter (and spring for that matter). Whats been others' experience with this?

Thanks
So you believe those who bait during the hunting season are cheating and copping out, yet to benefit your hunt next year, it's ok to bait in off season?

Interesting thought process you got going there....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you believe those who bait during the hunting season are cheating and copping out, yet to benefit your hunt next year, it's ok to bait in off season?

Interesting thought process you got going there....
Yep - huge difference. Im not hunting over a pile of corn - talk about slaughter-fest... Its essentially "chumming" .... for deer. Im simply providing (addl) substenance during the winter and spring months in an effort to keep the "herds" comfortable and welcome in my area, then relying on skills and proper scent management during the season. During and many weeks before I even step foot into the woods with a weapon, there is no provided food. Not sure how that's hard to differentiate.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They had a problem with winter feeding in southern NH a couple of years ago.

CONCORD, N.H. -- The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department today reported that twelve deer were discovered dead in South Hampton, N.H., on March 20, 2015, most likely the victims of well-intentioned, but tragically fatal, supplemental feeding by local residents.

N.H. Fish and Game Biologists and a Conservation Officer had responded to a report of six dead deer in a wooded suburban area in South Hampton. Upon locating the deer, Fish and Game staff searched the surrounding area and found another six deceased deer, bringing the total to twelve. Biologists conducted field necropsies on eight of the animals, which indicated that they had died from complications caused by winter feeding. The deer were found within roughly 300 feet of one another and all exhibited the same symptoms.

Two deer were brought to the University of New Hampshire (UNH) Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory for further analysis. Following a more detailed examination, the UNH Veterinary Diagnostic Lab concluded that evidence in the two deer examined was consistent with death due to enterotoxemia; a condition caused by a rapid change in diet often associated with winter feeding. Results from microscopic analysis are expected to help to further confirm this diagnosis.
Yep heard about stories like this and I believe its true to a degree. I think for deer that aren't used to corn and other such food then its an issue. If there's already fields in the area and you don't dump a 50lb bag all at once then you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts