Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With so many consecutive days of sub zero temps, has me concerned. Any biologists that can reign in on how this will impact wildlife?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Not a biologist, but I do have a degree in wildlife biology. Usually the limiting factor is food availability and strength of the individual deer, a cold snap like this will kill weaker animals without the ability to move to food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s the big concern. Most of the Midwest has been covered by a good blanket of snow for quite some time

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,493 Posts
A buddy of mine feeds the deer on his farm in the mid-west in the winter...had more the 40 at his place at one time this past week...his cams indicate some are traveling from neighboring properties...it's been tough and looks like it will get tougher in the upcoming week.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
All I can look at it was I am seeing locally here in Minnesota and our winter has been fairly mild compared to normal. We went most of December without any real snow, we've had mild temps until the last 2 weeks, and we had a really warm fall. I can't imagine our MN deer herd being at risk in any significant way. Now I'm not sure what the rest of the country is seeing. Overall deer are able to handle cold and snow. A couple weeks of really cold weather and a few snow storms here and there will only put the weak deer at risk. If we see long periods of heavy snow or serious cold, if the fall saw poor conditions forcing deer to go into the winter in bad shape, or we see a very late spring forcing deer to survive longer before food sources are more readily available then I'd start to worry. I just know what the winters were like here in MN when we saw higher mortality rates and this winter hasn't even been in the same ballpark as those winters.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Easy winter in MN so far. These two weeks of cold will kill nothing IMO. There's hardly any snow. Deep snow is worse than extreme cold. Both together is brutal. 2013/2014 was bad that way. We will be normal temps here soon. I don't see any problem. Plus there are a lot of crops still up and I bet deer can still find acorns.

Reactions: leftee

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Upstate NY, Region 8 - WE had very good conditions up until about a week ago. We're getting hammered pretty good right now, snow on top of snow. Cold weather with minimal snow cover doesn't have much negative impact. As said, snow will restrict their movement and they'll yard up. That's when things can get bad. WE need a few warn days to settle down what we have and it doesn't look like that will happen too soon.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,297 Posts
its ice on snow on ice on snow on ice here at my house. theyre gonna be in trouble. saw one the other night snow was already up to its chest

·
Premium Member
5,944 Posts
Deer were out in food plot pawing at the brassicas and enjoying the sunshine and bedding close by. Not as bad as chest deep snow, deer are tough and remember a doe that is pregnant will absorb the fetus/es if her body needs the nutrition.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,481 Posts
The onl issue is like jlh42581 mentioned , ice is the killer where they cannot get down to the food. No idea where he lives though

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
That’s the big concern. Most of the Midwest has been covered by a good blanket of snow for quite some time
where you live?
We just got our first snow this week and I think Southern Iowa got about as much as here in Missouri, N Arkansas got more, OK got about 6inches andEastern Nebraska got a bunch last week.
the rest of the mid-west did not get much at all. every thing is brown in the Dakotas and about the same in Kansas

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
(THIS) its ice on snow on ice on snow on ice here at my house. theyre gonna be in trouble. saw one the other night snow was already up to its chest. I keep just enough out daily to give them a little nutrition. We have 14 that come almost daily for bird seed (they know how to clan out the feeders if any in them) We have 8. Then shelled corn & oats. Normally I don't do this much but the ICE (twice) covered in waist deep snow makes it tough. We keep plenty for all kinds of critters in winter. Hell, even the Crows check daily to see what scraps are around.
Deerjan162021.JPG

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've noticed around here, the amount of snow isn't as devastating as a hard crusty snow. I find a lot of dead deer when the snow has a thick crust on it.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I've noticed most of you do not say where you are. I just saw a picture on another forum from down in Texas with a foot of snow, so I guess that is where most of you live.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
All I can look at it was I am seeing locally here in Minnesota and our winter has been fairly mild compared to normal. We went most of December without any real snow, we've had mild temps until the last 2 weeks, and we had a really warm fall. I can't imagine our MN deer herd being at risk in any significant way. Now I'm not sure what the rest of the country is seeing. Overall deer are able to handle cold and snow. A couple weeks of really cold weather and a few snow storms here and there will only put the weak deer at risk. If we see long periods of heavy snow or serious cold, if the fall saw poor conditions forcing deer to go into the winter in bad shape, or we see a very late spring forcing deer to survive longer before food sources are more readily available then I'd start to worry. I just know what the winters were like here in MN when we saw higher mortality rates and this winter hasn't even been in the same ballpark as those winters.
I agree one week of cold is not putting much of any strain on the deer, the turkey have been doing pretty good to. It will be 40 on Monday here in the twin cities.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Cold and snow doesn’t hurt deer if they have good habitat with cover and browse. If it’s wide open mature forest with no browse then they can get in trouble pretty quick. I expect to see some winter kill on the National Forest where there is poor habitat and no browse as we have ice with snow on ice with snow and over a foot in the mountains with another foot coming. Unless it warms up quick next week we will lose some deer. Turkeys are fine in this stuff.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
nice here today 17 deg., but just had a few days in the -20's and -30's in the morning. i often walk outside and wonder how the heck the deer survive that.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts