Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you fletch your arrows how do you get a nice clean wipe of the excess glue from the sides of your fletch? I am using Bohning Fletch Tite Platinum for the first time and I cannot get a clean wipe. (insert joke here....LOL!)

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I use a q-tip on each side of the vane to remove excess. Once you get the hang of it, you will be able to put the right amount of glue on the vane and not have much excess.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will give it a try. I am use to using the gorilla glue with the blue cap and it wipes off easy compared to this Bohning glue. this stuff is more like contact cement.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
Yep , good ole Q-Tip

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
Apply your glue to the vane, then dab the base of the vane on a glossy magazine page. This will leave enough glue to do the job, but not so much that it runs out.

I've seen some excellent fletchers who use their fingers to remove the excess glue. I tried that, but it got kinda messy.

Allen

·
Registered
522 Posts
I use a q tip. The more I fletch I get better at judging the right amount though.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I use the Q tip too, move fast though or else you end up with Q tip stuck to your arrow!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I take a toothpick and squeegee the glue on the vane after I run the bead....gives me a nice even layer of glue and virtually no over run.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks. I will give it a try. I am use to using the gorilla glue with the blue cap and it wipes off easy compared to this Bohning glue. this stuff is more like contact cement.
If you're using a quick drying adhesive, then try this...
Wait until it dries, and srape off the excess with a razorblade. Yes, it sounds dangerous, but after a couple times, you'll see this can be a reliable, clean, and effective method.
I use the Locktite Control Gel, and have been doing this for years as needed.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i put the glue on the vane at each end and spread it with a q-tip. i use locktight super glue not the gel, i tried the gel didn't like it . the only way i get my vanes off is shoot them off with another arrow .

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
If you're using a quick drying adhesive, then try this...
Wait until it dries, and srape off the excess with a razorblade. Yes, it sounds dangerous, but after a couple times, you'll see this can be a reliable, clean, and effective method.
I use the Locktite Control Gel, and have been doing this for years as needed.
That works, some wipe it off with a Q-tip with acetone on it.

But if you dab the vane or feather on a piece of paper after applying the glue unless your just super careless when placing the vane on the arrow you will NEVER have any glue to scrape or wipe off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts