Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this has been brought up already, but this just appeared on a Wausau newspaper websight.
http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/ap...D=/20080327/WDH0101/80327037/1981&located=RSS
It looks like the DNR is admitting to the presence of the big cats in WI. My wife has been suggesting I carry a pistol while bowhunting because of our wolf population, wait until she sees this. I personally don't feel threatened by wolves and I think the chances of bumping into a big cat are so remote that carrying a pistol would be a case of paranoia.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Isn't Milton in the CWD Zone? Concrete proof that the DNR is stocking cougars there to help with their herd reduction goals.

(that was a joke, by the way) :wink:

·
Banned
73 Posts
I don't think my reply shows up, but wes, you got no idea.....

my favorite story was the DNR stocking massasaguas to control the turkey population by eating turkey eggs.......

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I just got done reading about that. My friend by LaCrosse said he had heard one by his land around Desoto but never saw it to be certain.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's been numerous "unsubstantiated" sightings in the northwoods over the past ten years. I'm actually kind of surprised nobody around here has caught one on a trail cam yet.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
700 miles...and a nice swim across the Mighty...

OR

DNR Transplant...

you make the call.
700 miles and swimming across a river (deer do it all the time) is actually no big deal for a population of animals that seems to be shifting its range anyway.

A wildlife agency transplanting a large carnivore is a huge deal and it would be impossible for them to keep it a secret.

I guess you just have to go with Occam's Razor on this one.

·
Deer Slayer
3,428 Posts
I have a person that told me a cougar went across the road right in fron of her on the country road where I live. I beleive it.........my dad also swears up and down one day he spotted a cougar laying on top of one of their round bails in the field but couldnt get close enough. He called the DNR and they laughed at him and said there are no cougars in WI......F the DNR. I know they are around because these 2 sources are extremely reliable and wouldnt lie. crossing my fingers to get the cougar on trail cam this year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep. Paw prints were discovered around the Jefferson marsh also where wardens were told to go and investigate. DNA did say it was a cougar. :eek: Not sure if it was the same one. I'm guessing yes.

·
Registered
604 Posts
There has been sightings of cougars for the past several years, but they seemed to didn't care or made the reporting person feel like an idiot. I'm not sure why that is. It's not like they were overwhelmed with calls or the people were reporting seeing aliens.

·
Deer Slayer
3,428 Posts
There has been sightings of cougars for the past several years, but they seemed to didn't care or made the reporting person feel like an idiot. I'm not sure why that is. It's not like they were overwhelmed with calls or the people were reporting seeing aliens.
I think the DNR planted them in the state to help get rid of our deer. They just play dumb when people call in and say they saw one and tell them that is IMPOSSIBLE to have a cougar in this state.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We were talking about this at work the other day. What would happen if someone shot a cougar in WI? Would the DNR fine the person?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I think the DNR planted them in the state to help get rid of our deer. They just play dumb when people call in and say they saw one and tell them that is IMPOSSIBLE to have a cougar in this state.
i would think it would help reduce the racoon population as well. that would be kinda like the dollar menu, quick easy and cheap.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
cougars would cut down on the deer population....the only problem is that they might cut down on the bowhunter population as well. I know that I don't want to be attacked from behind in the dark by a 120 pound ball of angry kitty

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Just what we need.... A bunch of cougars running aorund with CWD!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts