Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to AT so sorry if this post is in the wrong forum! But I just have a few questions about planting a food plot.
I live in Northeast Wisconsin where I will be planting (my first flood plot) a very small 1/4 acre food plot.....

1.What can I plant this time of year that I could hunt during Sept-Nov?
2.When should I spray my weed killer to kill any weeds in the area Im planting?
3.What type of plant has the least amount of maintenace?
4.If I plant something such as clover this time of the year can I throw down more seed in July/August without doing any raking or tilling and still have it grow?

I've already taken a pH test and the soil is at 7.0 and I understand this is a very small food plot and the deer could eat it by time season comes around but I just want to start off planting a small food plot before I move on to anything bigger! Thanks for any help!

·
The pugs keeper
5,959 Posts
Go to your local mill. Thats what i did. You dont need to buy the big price stuff, they will be able to tell you what will work. PH levels are very important to that will be a factor in what you plant. Im in the Fox Valley and just planted clover last year. It should last me for awhile. The are was all cleaned and tilled and raked, fertalized, and had lime put on it before plant time. It all depends on how much time and money you want to put in, but some of the "just throw and it will grow stuff" just does not work to well. Most good plots take lots of time and money.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
If you want to plant clover I would wait until mid May at least before you plant. Want to make sure the threat of frost is over. As for when to spray thing should start greening up here in the next few weeks and once the grass and weeds start coming up give them a shot of round up and then wait a few weeks and then hit it again.
How are you planning on working the ground up? I'm planning on doing so prep work this weekend if it's not to wet.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Food plot

Thanks! I went out last weekend and moved a few fallen down trees and started to cut a few saplings. I also started to rake up the area to get rid of anything I could before I sprayed. Im using a rake because the area I'm planting the food plot is a high spot surrounded by poppel swamp... Thats why the food plot is going to be so small and I wont be able to get any type of tractor or quad back there. Thanks for the input!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts