Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on espn, not sure if it's been posted yet or not:

Since posting my Tuesday blog about the whitetail deer found in Alma, Wisc. that sported unusually long hooves, I have been in contact with some folks close to this wild wildlife tale.

Jarrad Fluekiger, walleye guide and co-owner of The Main Channel Fishing Shop in Alma, e-mailed the photo of this strange-looking deer, along with some details.

Jarrard wrote that Jeff Rieck, a family friend, hit and killed the deer with his pickup one evening last week.

Folks around Alma have been seeing the long-toed wild buck for the past couple of years.

Landowner Curt Youngbauer said he's seen the buck in different areas in the past and it appeared to have some difficulty getting around. He said when he last saw the buck in the spring, only its front hooves appeared overgrown.

"When we asked the DNR about the unusual hooves they were as surprised and confused as we were," Fluekiger wrote. "They could only figure that either the deer found some high protein minerals or that the deer had some kind of bad gene."

My friend Mike Faw, prolific outdoor writer and editor of the Sports Afield Almanac, says he's only seen the malady in two other whitetail in his life.

"One case was nearly as severe and the other was less per hoof," Faw said. "When deer are afflicted, it seems to be all hooves. The deer also walk semi-normal and can run, but the hooves can make a distinct flopping noise that can be heard a considerable distance away. Neither deer that I saw had been confined or unable to walk for a time, so the excessive growth could not be explained."

How about our blog readers? Can you shed any light on this oddity of nature?

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm not sure if this is true or not,but I've seen other photo's of deer like that and was told it was caused by a very close lightning strike at some point in the deer's life.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
bowhuntin_KS said:
well, you know what ladies say about guys with big feet...LOL:ROFLMAO:

yeah...i believe it is "bigger the foot, bigger the......SHOE"....:darkbeer:

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
It is caused by a very high protein diet and the deer most likely escaped a game farm where he had limited movement.

·
Registered
603 Posts
vermonster13 said:
It is caused by a very high protein diet and the deer most likely escaped a game farm where he had limited movement.
Looks like my toenails. I guess I better lower the protein in my diet AND try to get more exercise.:darkbeer:

3L

·
Registered
749 Posts
M.Magis said:
As far as I know, it's simply genetics. We've had cattle with the same problem. It wasn't caused by lightning.

Bingo. Although it may have some other variables, this is for the most part genetic. I've seen it countless times in cattle, often referred to as "slipper foot". Thankfully with dairies and depending on the farm setup, routine hoof trimming is widely accepted as a means of of keeping your cows comfortable so they can provide more milk for your bottom line. I don't think I'd like to try to get a wild deer in a chute to trim it's feet though.:eek:

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
i bet he was pretty easy to track down....haha

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
While I was at the NYS DEC, I raised wild whitetails in an 2 acre enclosure, several of which had this problem. It is diet and movement related. Personally, I would suspect that this deer was at best eating out of someones backyard, and at worst out of someone's hand.

·
Registered
384 Posts
funky hooves

years ago seen it on a hunting show best thing they came up with was maybe the deer had something wrong with it so it couldn't walk to wear the hooves off. the deer they showed stood up and in a minute or so bedded back down. his hooves had a real curl to them. glad ya shot him. maybe he was in misery.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Yeah..that pic was on here over the weekend...I read it was alot of PROTEIN.

·
DefiantShooter
10,865 Posts
LoL!!!

bowhuntin_KS said:
well, you know what ladies say about guys with big feet...LOL:ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
429 Posts
i was in whitehall this past weekend and went into holtens archery shop and he has a half mounted doe from the shoulders forward with the same thing going on...it is a weird looking thing, but kinda of neat.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sorry, but that looks like a bad photoshop job. Look at his antlers in relationship with the bed liner. Also, notice the "blurs" above the back

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Buckneer said:
Sorry, but that looks like a bad photoshop job. Look at his antlers in relationship with the bed liner. Also, notice the "blurs" above the back

Oh boy, here we go. While we are at it...... I wonder if this buck shopped at Cabelas or his local pro shop? Does he use scentloc? Fixed or mechanicals?

Anyway, I have seen that in some of my grandpas cattle in the past. Nice buck though. Probably got all the does.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts