Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you had trouble getting the birds to respond after the roost this year? It seems like they shut off once they are on the ground. Just curious to know if it has been like this all over. had luck calling for people but it isn't the same as past years with resposes from the birds.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
we can get them to call back but when we see them they are afraid to come in more than 50 yds of our decoys why is this? (i was using only hens) i couldn't carry the pretty boy out that morning

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we can get them to call back but when we see them they are afraid to come in more than 50 yds of our decoys why is this? (i was using only hens) i couldn't carry the pretty boy out that morning

were they henned up or all alone? sometimes pretty boy or the b-mobile is all the encouragement needed. that's how i called this tom in (attached picture) for my buddy. i had to work hard for him to commit to come in. there were 6 hens with this guy. i snuck up over the hill placed the decoy where he could see it, then i snuck back to get set up. he was pretty much to the decoy by the time i got back. but i am only getting them to respond in the roost then once they fly down, they are silent

·
Registered
632 Posts
We had our best year ever. Everyone that hunted, got a turkey. Some took several hunts to get one, but it was really windy, and even snowed one weekend. We seemed to have more turkeys, and the timber company has thinned the woods, so the turkeys are roosting closer to the center of the property.

The hunters are getting better, too. All but me gun hunt for turkeys.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
it seems like there not hitting it hard yet...just not getting as fired up, strutting, gobbling...etc

maybe upcoming weeks be good here in central wi:shade:

·
Living The Dream
3,796 Posts
I pulled a tag for 1st week. Birds were spooky and silent-private land. Didn't see too many strutters until week 2. It was also very windy that first week. I have a tag for last week of the season, so we'll see how that goes. There were alot of hunters that I talked to that did well though, so maybe it was just me or where I was hunting. Plus, I refused to use a gun this year, and I know that led me to be less mobile using a bow and a blind-I'll get it right sooner or later-still looking for that "first" with my bow....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i am hoping for a change of enthusiam from these birds. got a feeling that a lot more of the hens will be nesting soon and this will get the toms looking for girlfriends. might be a good week this week.

·
Whitetails!!!
1,575 Posts
same here, they are silent when they hit the ground, i have actually watched several toms roost in the evenings and 3 times now they've not even gobbled from the roost

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hunted last week and struggled to get birds close enough for the bow. Not much gobbling after fly down. Had a tom at 32yds on Saturday morning but on opposite side of fence and no clear shot. Six jakes came in later that morning and a tom was coming from the opposite direction only to have the jakes run him out of there. I have tags for the 5th and 6th week and look forward to hunting again.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
I partially think turkeys are getting more and more call and decoy shy. In a lot of situations I've completely ditched using decoys and I feel that my success has gone up. Also you really need to have an array of calls in your bag. Last year I could not get a bird to respond to my diaphram. Break out the box call and they'd go nuts. It was odd.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts