Archery Talk Forum banner

Witnessed my first dry fire tonight

1606 Views 17 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  hoodedmonk
wow I cant believe that nothing happened peepcame out and kisser button broke but that is it bow was still perfect it was a Forge and man is this a tough bow!!!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
Last year when i bought my switchback my buddy came over to check it out. He was standing in my breezeway with it and i was in the kitchen 10" away. i reached into the fridge to grab a couple beers and thwack!!!!!!! He dry fired the damn thing. The only thing that happened was the sight level popped out and the top string suppressor came out. I was amazed that was all that happened.

· Registered
1,826 Posts
Saw one today also. Hoyt Pro-elite. Poor guy fired it and forgot to put an arrow in. Everything stayed together. He went on to shoot another with no trouible (with an arrow) then packed up and left. Did it myself a few years back so i know just what he feels like.

· Registered
857 Posts
I saw it once at a 3D shoot about 12-13 years ago. We were all watching the target and I happened to glance at the shooter and see that there was no arrow on the string. She hit the release just as I was starting to say something. Cable jumped out of the track on one cam, no other damage. This was an experienced shooter, just got too caught up in figuring yardage.

I have seen a couple of morons draw back a bow at Bass Pro and let loose of the string. They got a surprised look on their face when the bow sounded like a gun going off and everyone looked over at them. I guess that is why they now have zip ties around the string & cables.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
He better really inspect the limbs well!!!

· Registered
520 Posts
in the mid 90's,(when I first started), my buddy and I were in a conversation while shooting, without missing a beat, he drew back, aimied, and released with no arrow, sounded like a .22, didn't hurt anything, I don't remember the model, but i know it was a hoyt.

· Registered
5,550 Posts
For those of you that have been shooting long enough. Do you remember on the recurves that used used Kevlar for their strings? The strings were really good because there was zero stretch in the string. Problem was they gave you no warning when they were going to break. They always broke on the loop on the shot. It always sounded like the bow blew up. :mg:

· Registered
336 Posts
You may not believe this, but I saw a guy dry fire one twice in my back yard. We were setting up our bows, and he just forgot to put an arrow in - twice. It was hard not to bust out laughing, but I was concerned about his bow. I know it could happen to any of us. It was a High Country Brute Force. He went on to hunt and kill several deer with it. He still has it. It seems that absolutely nothing happened to it.

· Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it was wierd cause he knows better than to draw w/o an arrow in but he was to excited to see what the new v-bars were going to be like so he just couldnt wait

· Registered
88 Posts
Witnessed my first one this weekend at the ISE. Guy was drawing back an AM35 at the Hoyt booth. He said the string "slipped" out of his fingers, but I watched him let it go. It definitely sounded like a .22 going off. He apologized to the Hoyt Rep. profusely, and then walked away. The Hoyt Rep. turned to me and my friend who was helping man the booth and said, "Thats two today on this bow, I betcha we get atleast five!" We all laughed, he drew the bow back to double check everything, and put it back on the rack. Not a single thing wrong... and that is exactly why I shoot a Hoyt!

· Registered
185 Posts
Witnessed my first one this weekend at the ISE. Guy was drawing back an AM35 at the Hoyt booth. He said the string "slipped" out of his fingers, but I watched him let it go. It definitely sounded like a .22 going off. He apologized to the Hoyt Rep. profusely, and then walked away. The Hoyt Rep. turned to me and my friend who was helping man the booth and said, "Thats two today on this bow, I betcha we get atleast five!" We all laughed, he drew the bow back to double check everything, and put it back on the rack. Not a single thing wrong... and that is exactly why I shoot a Hoyt!
That's why I shoot Hoyt also !!!!!!

· Registered
366 Posts
Dry fired

I have only witnessed one dryfire. I had stopped at a buddies house after Whitetail hunting one evening. Somehow we got to talking about my bow. We went out to the truck to look at it. He just had to draw it back. He yanked on the string.I cringed. He hit the end of the draw and his arm kept pulling and the string went forward. WOW the mark where the T.R.U ball on the string hit is arm was HUGE. The noise is one I'll always remember. Lucky guy. He now owned a bow that he wasn't even shopping for. Nothing happened other than the ball shot off the string. I have always owned several bows so I finished out the season with one of my other bows.

· Registered
2,713 Posts
A couple of years ago I was letting a Trykon down and slipped out of my fingers. I guess it was only a partial dry fire, but man did I feel like a dumb *****. Nothing happened to the bow, but it broke me of the habit of drawing bows back without an arrow in them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.