Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good news

MISSOULA, Mont.—The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service this week hopes to remove wolves from endangered species lists in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. But with anti-hunting emotions and lawsuits threatening to forestall sound conservation science, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is reaffirming its longstanding support of hunter-based wolf management.

Wolf populations are now well above federal recovery goals and increasing.

The time has come to manage wolves like other game animals, says Elk Foundation President David Allen.

“Long before anyone dreamed of an Endangered Species Act, hunters were restoring and managing elk, mule deer, whitetails, wild turkeys, black bears, bighorn sheep, mountain lions, mountain goats and a host of other wildlife. In fact, it was hunter-funded big-game populations that made wolf recovery possible. You’d think the people who argued longest and loudest to bring wolves back would be slapping backs and saying thanks. Instead, they’re filing lawsuits,” said Allen.

Ed Bangs, wolf recovery coordinator for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, said, “We strongly support hunting wolves. Look at the success we’ve had with hunting mountain lions and maintaining strong lion populations. There is no reason wolf management cannot be just as successful.”

Regulated hunting has never reduced any species to threatened levels. It is, however, the premier tool for balancing game populations within carrying capacities of habitat as well as public tolerances. Allen said wolves in certain areas have exceeded those tolerances.

Allen urged Elk Foundation members to support hunter-based wolf management controlled by respective state wildlife agencies, saying, “I hope all of our members will voice their support for de-listing wolves as prescribed by US. Fish and Wildlife Service, and continue to show how hunters lead the wildlife conservation process.”

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Best news I've heard!

Yep, they are officially off the list. :darkbeer::darkbeer:I spent a couple hours Wednesday going over numbers and regional information with our Fish & Game folks here. They will attempt to confirm the hunting seasons for wolf this year in April. With 750-800 confirmed wolves in Idaho, and wolf population expantion at roughly 20% per year, and normal die off from other causes, Idaho will most likely be allowing for the taking, by hunters, somewhere between 100-200 wolves this fall.

I'm hoping they don't do it on a draw but rather on a quota like they do cats. If they allow anybody to buy a wolf tag, like cats, they can just shut down the season when the quota is reached. This is better IMO than just issuing a small number of tags in a drwa, and then "counting" on those tag holders to do their part in keeping the wolf numbers in check.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Not to be a downer but if you check out the FWS homepage for the rocky mountain recovery program, you'll see a January letter from a number of groups that says they plan court action if the delistin happens. Well, it happened today so I'd guess the lawsuits are coming as soon as their required waiting period is over. That means it will be tied up in the courts again :pukey:.

Personally, I think that as long as the court case is undecided, the states' management plans should go full steam ahead.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Personally, I think that as long as the court case is undecided, the states' management plans should go full steam ahead.

My thoughts exactly, why is it the other way around. I bet it wouldn't take so long in the courts if it were. The decision would get done ASAP and we could get on with life.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Injunction is the only thing can stop us.

Not to be a downer but if you check out the FWS homepage for the rocky mountain recovery program, you'll see a January letter from a number of groups that says they plan court action if the delistin happens. Well, it happened today so I'd guess the lawsuits are coming as soon as their required waiting period is over. That means it will be tied up in the courts again :pukey:.

Keep yer chin up! The fact is that now that the wolf is off the list, we states can and have taken over management and will act according to our accepted plans. We will move forward with management. It really doesn't matter if the antis such as Eartjustice have the feds tied up in court ten years from now.

The only way that the states can be stopped from following each of their states eccepted and adopted wolf management plan is if an injunction is gained by the Antis. Not a legal eagle here, but the to get an injunction, the requesting party needs to show that irreparable harm will take place if the injunction is not issued. Given that the wolf has shown everyone, including the Feds, Antis, & Wolf advocates, that it can "repair" or "repopulate" in short order, and much faster than anyone had guessed, showing impending irreparable harm will be most difficult.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Gosh I hope you are right. I was wondering about that.

I know where I am going with my tag.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Bullhound, I really hope you are correct but the last time delisting came up, they were able to get injuctions, weren't they? The problem is they won't just sue USFWS, they'll drag Idaho Fish ad Game, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks and Wyoming Game and Fish into this mess too. I hope you are correct though.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Bullhound, I really hope you are correct but the last time delisting came up, they were able to get injuctions, weren't they? The problem is they won't just sue USFWS, they'll drag Idaho Fish ad Game, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks and Wyoming Game and Fish into this mess too. I hope you are correct though.
I've read the notice to file by Earthjustice and unless I missed something, they are suing the feds and I am just guessing they have no grounds to sue the states as the decision they are suing over was not made by the states. I'm sure someone alot smarter than me can give better details but this is how I understand it.

Does anybody think that earthjustice, Defenders of Wildlife, or anyone else could possibly show that irreparable harm will happen if the states follow their respective plans?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yep, they are officially off the list. :darkbeer::darkbeer:I spent a couple hours Wednesday going over numbers and regional information with our Fish & Game folks here. They will attempt to confirm the hunting seasons for wolf this year in April. With 750-800 confirmed wolves in Idaho, and wolf population expantion at roughly 20% per year, and normal die off from other causes, Idaho will most likely be allowing for the taking, by hunters, somewhere between 100-200 wolves this fall.

I'm hoping they don't do it on a draw but rather on a quota like they do cats. If they allow anybody to buy a wolf tag, like cats, they can just shut down the season when the quota is reached. This is better IMO than just issuing a small number of tags in a drwa, and then "counting" on those tag holders to do their part in keeping the wolf numbers in check.

I wholeheartedly agree. Once a quota is reached, shut the hunt down.

My cousin lives in Montana and he has said on numerous occasions that while the state is moving to delist the wolves, the state may not be able to move forward until the 4-6 pending law suits, filed by antis, are resolved.

Until then, SSS (shoot, shovel, shut up).

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've been inside comortable bow range 3 out of the last six years. Close to that every other year. It will not be easy after the first couple years they are hunted.
So true, they will wise up real quick.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.