Archery Talk Forum banner

Wolf Encounters

4978 Views 106 Replies 48 Participants Last post by  hoodedmonk
Now that we have lots of wolves in the west, and they are spreading faster and farther than anyone ever thought they would, I wondered if some of you would post your close encounters with them.
I have had three close ones.
Where I chase bulls in Idaho, they have been present for 7years. It is not uncommon to spot them at distance, but I have had them get real close to me. The first time was real weird. I spent the whole afternoon and evening trying to get a shot at a big herd bull. I had dogged the bunch about four miles above our spike camp. I got dark and I was wet and tired. It had been pouring rain all day. I started back toward our spike camp. I was at about 9,800 ft with it spitting snow. Our spike camp was at about 7,900 and I hoped it wouldn't be snowing there. I was about half way back, trudging down the canyon thinking about dinner when three wolves started howling about 150yds behind me. I thought that was kind of cool to hear them that close. About 400yds farther down they went off again, this time only 100yds out. I thought that was strange. A half mile down the canyon further, they howled again, this time only about sixty or seventy yards behind me.:eek: I thought that was kind of weird and picked up the pace a little. Just before I got into spike camp, they went off again, still close. One of my hunting partners was in his tent and asked I had heard the wolves that howled so close to camp. I told him they had been following me for the last two miles.
Another time I was right in the middle of trying to call in a real nice bull,and had him screaming at me about 80yds out. Two wolves came running in about twenty-five yards from me, turned and chased the bull and his cows over the rim of the canyon.
Finally, one evening I was headed back to camp in about 18" of fresh snow and had taken a short cut off the ridge down through some thick stuff. I was just stumbling along, wishing it would stop snowing. Off to my right I caught a little movement in some dead fall just as four wolves jumped up out of the snow and took off. They were only about twenty yds. away when they jumped up.:eek: again. That got my heart going.
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

· The pugs keeper
5,959 Posts
My friend and i were turkey hunting in western wisconsin near black river falls. I had shot a tom the day before, on that morning we heard 3 other ones so we gave it another try the following day. We saw a hen, and then she takes off like a streak of [email protected]#$. Then 2 wolfs round the corner and go behind us 100 yards. no big deal till my buddy uses his turkey call. the one wolf kept going, but the other came in to 30 yards on the logging road. we both stood up and waved are hats at it but it just staired at us. after awhile it slinked off, and we headed back to the truck. it followed us all the way to the truck (300 yards away) about 50 yards to are rite. Im guessing the other one was there, but we just did not see it. it really was something to see.

· Registered
2,487 Posts
If I am not mistaken, there has never been a documented human fatality due to wolves. Further, I don't think there is even a documented case of an attack.

I find that strange given all the cases involving black bears, grizzlies, and mountain lions. Plus with all the reports of indiscriminate killings by wolves, you would think human would be even more fair game.

Maybe wolves are actually very intelligent and just know better.

· Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No one said attack.

If I am not mistaken, there has never been a documented human fatality due to wolves. Further, I don't think there is even a documented case of an attack.

I find that strange given all the cases involving black bears, grizzlies, and mountain lions. Plus with all the reports of indiscriminate killings by wolves, you would think human would be even more fair game.

No one said attack, or kill. I don't want to spark the wolf debates here. I just thought with the huge increase in wolves and their territory it might be interesting to here about some close encounters of the Wolfie kind.
Thanks,
D.

· Registered
3,415 Posts

It's a matter of time before there is a killing of a human. I know a man who was hiking and had a wolf walk out in front of him about 50 yards. The wolf just stayed about 40-50 yards ahead of him as he kept walking and kept looking back. He keeps walking, hears a noise behind him and turns around and two wolves are putting the stalk on him. He doesn't go anywhere in the wild without his Taurus Judge on his hip anymore.

Another man in Northern Idaho I believe said that his dogs saved his life from a pack of wolves. I read the story in the newspaper. It was pretty gruesome.

Wolves need to be exterminated.

· Registered
3,319 Posts
I was in the wilderness last spring bear hunting... memorial day wknd... had been out all day with the other 3 guys, and went on a solo 4wheeler ride to what we call the "lookout" to glass the other side of the large canyon to see if the big black bear we'd been watching came back out... when I heard the first howl bout a mile away down, across a saddle and up the other ridge to the west of me ... I didn't think anything of it being it was so far away ... 6:30pm with an hour of light, alone. .5 mile from a pretty busy helicopter and fire camp...

I took a short stroll out to the end of the point, then along the rim to gain a different glassing angle, and I heard the howl again. still sounded like he was on the other point west of me. I bumped a half doz elk which trotted into the woods westward, and I went out to the rim to glass ... about 15-20 min later the elk come running past me at under 15 yards wide-eyed... and I look behind them and here comes a shadow lurking, nose to ground ... I take a step into the log road, wave my hand and whistle so he isn't surprised by me ...he looks right at me standing in the old log cut road, pauses, bobs his head as if to say hi, and then comes right at me... I pulled up on him expecting him to turn away or stop... but he keeps coming - 40, 35, 30, 25 "Hey" I hollar. he pauses, looks at me waving my right hand and walking backwards... I get about 5 yards walking slowly backwards facing him...and he bobs his head and starts walking towards me... hair on my neck is about like Marge Simpsons do ... all I could see was grey fur through the scope at 3X...

I will leave the rest of the story for you to imagine ... but I will say, I am reloading one brass casing for my 25-06.

· Registered
3,319 Posts
It's a matter of time before there is a killing of a human. I know a man who was hiking and had a wolf walk out in front of him about 50 yards. The wolf just stayed about 40-50 yards ahead of him as he kept walking and kept looking back. He keeps walking, hears a noise behind him and turns around and two wolves are putting the stalk on him. He doesn't go anywhere in the wild without his Taurus Judge on his hip anymore.

Another man in Northern Idaho I believe said that his dogs saved his life from a pack of wolves. I read the story in the newspaper. It was pretty gruesome.

Wolves need to be exterminated.
You mean this guy? As you can see by the last pic, these wolves are not small by any means... the guy standing on the wheeler is 6' tall - killed in Star Valley Wyoming - Grey's River region G elk and deer herd...I almost ran this wolf over the day before the rancher got him... yes, it was legally harvested.

Attachments

· Registered
3,415 Posts
I was in the wilderness last spring bear hunting... memorial day wknd... had been out all day with the other 3 guys, and went on a solo 4wheeler ride to what we call the "lookout" to glass the other side of the large canyon to see if the big black bear we'd been watching came back out... when I heard the first howl bout a mile away down, across a saddle and up the other ridge to the west of me ... I didn't think anything of it being it was so far away ... 6:30pm with an hour of light, alone. .5 mile from a pretty busy helicopter and fire camp...

I took a short stroll out to the end of the point, then along the rim to gain a different glassing angle, and I heard the howl again. still sounded like he was on the other point west of me. I bumped a half doz elk which trotted into the woods westward, and I went out to the rim to glass ... about 15-20 min later the elk come running past me at under 15 yards wide-eyed... and I look behind them and here comes a shadow lurking, nose to ground ... I take a step into the log road, wave my hand and whistle so he isn't surprised by me ...he looks right at me standing in the old log cut road, pauses, bobs his head as if to say hi, and then comes right at me... I pulled up on him expecting him to turn away or stop... but he keeps coming - 40, 35, 30, 25 "Hey" I hollar. he pauses, looks at me waving my right hand and walking backwards... I get about 5 yards walking slowly backwards facing him...and he bobs his head and starts walking towards me... hair on my neck is about like Marge Simpsons do ... all I could see was grey fur through the scope at 3X...

I will leave the rest of the story for you to imagine ... but I will say, I am reloading one brass casing for my 25-06.
Rightfully so.

A quarter bore kinda guy, I like that!

· Registered
257 Posts
pegasis I believe you are mistaken, there was a graduate student in Canada that was killed by wolves. I have not had any encounters with wolves. Grizzlies, black bears, cougars and others but no wolves as of yet.

ORrogue

· Registered
2,487 Posts
No one said attack, or kill. I don't want to spark the wolf debates here. I just thought with the huge increase in wolves and their territory it might be interesting to here about some close encounters of the Wolfie kind.
Thanks,
D.
I didn't say you did, but was just pointing out that I thought it was strange that there are no, or very little, attacks or fatalities.

Thank you

· Registered
2,713 Posts

I do believe you are mistaken. I think there is a documented attack or two in Alaska I will try to find a link.

· Registered
2,713 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm not for wiping wolves off the face of the planet but I do believe you dispose of a few every now and then, just to remind them who's boss!:embara: That being said bears and cougers also attack humans on occasion. But I don't want to live in a world without them. Besides it gives us something to mess with the tree huggers about.:)

· Registered
65 Posts
I hunt and guide in the Frank Church Wilderness, home of the first INTRODUCED wolf pair. I have been dealing with them since 1995. Other than killing a elk per week out of a herd of 350 head, they have not been a real threat to me until the last couple of years. I ran into a pack of 25 or so last year and they gave me a real bad feeling. Not only was this large group not scared of my presence a few took the opportunity to scare the crap of me. At 10 feet I was ready to pull the trigger on my glock but that is the closest they would come. I was moving out of the area at a normal pace and they stayed with me for about 125 yards then peeled off 1 by 1 until it was just me and a large female. She looked more amused than anything.

The only other thing I deal with is the constant problem of calling them in while calling for elk. I have now been within 10-15 feet of several wolves who were completed devoid of any fear of human scent. There is absolutely no fear and quite frankly I am getting more cautious and worried. I hope we can encourage some fear in the very near future.

· Registered
1,882 Posts
Further, I don't think there is even a documented case of an attack.
I haven't read the entire thing, but here's a report documenting 39 occurrences in AK & CAN of aggressive behavior toward humans, 16 of which involved bites. Most seem to be in cases where the wolves are acclimated to humans.
http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/techpubs/research_pdfs/techb13_full.pdf

I think you are correct about them being intelligent enough to avoid humans. They are very efficient pack hunters w/ an abundance of easier prey available in the areas into which they have been reintroduced... they don't really need to buy trouble w/ humans.

· Registered
476 Posts
We got a huge problem with wolves up here, even in Anchorage. There is stories all the time of peoples cats/dogs gettin snatched up by them in town. I have never had a dangerous encounter with one before, came up on one munchin away on a gut pile from another moose hunter. I have found them to be like bears, they will ususally run away and avoid confrontation, but my .357 blasts might have something to do with that.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.