Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you guys recomend for a starter bow for my wife. Looking for something relatively inexpensive in case she doesn't take to it but yet isn't a piece of junk. I was looking at a parker...side kick I think, is this a good choice? Any help would be great.

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,354 Posts
Martin Threshold or Diamond Rock. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks man. Actually I am looking at the diamond razor edge, anyone know anything about that one? Looks like it has amazing adjustability 30-60 lbs and 19-29" draw I think? Shoot if she didnt take to it I could shoot the bow...lol.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
beat me to the PSE Chaos comment. great bow that you can get in up to 50 lbs with a single or dual cam and its like a mini X Force for looks and feel.

later
jkeiffer

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
razr edge

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I was looking for a plinking bow. I tried the side kick, it seemed loud and shocky to me, didn't care for the one size fits all feel. The chaos was a pleasure, and uncomparable in feel/quality for the price. It does feel better than those I tried. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
The razor's edge is amazing in all honesty. Draw cycle is smooth, a true dual cam set up descent speeds, and full range of adjustability. Plus the bow comes in pink digi camo with black riser.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As a female, I believe the PSE Chaos is the best bow for a woman. I started off with the parker sidekick- it was a good bow.. but I found out that the PSE is much better and is still a starter. I have my limbs set at 40-50 - the draw back is smooth and it isn't junk at all. The price is decent as well! All in all I haven't had any problems with the bow other than the fact that my strings could possibly be replaced- buttttt I have had them on for a year so it is alright.
Hope it helps! Good lucK!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
A great bow for a beginer lady archert in my opinion would be a martin leopard or cheetah. If your wife doesn't like it then you could pass it on to your son or daughter if you have kids. The reason I suggest martin is because one the customer service if you have any problems with the bow is amazing. Martin stands by their product and will help you out 100%. Plus the marin bows are also reasonably priced. Your not going to spend an arm and a leg.good luck in yur venture into purchasing your wife a bow.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The best thing to do is take her to a shop that has a decent stock of shorter draw length and lower weight bows. The important thing to remember is that what feels good to you or anyone else may not feel right to her. In order for her to like the sport, especially if she is a new shooter, is let her be part of the experience of picking out a bow. As all the recommendations are great, it is crucial that she be the one with the final say-so.

Go to www.shootlikeagirl.com.....it is a great website and they also have test flights. This is just for women. All the bows are low pounds and short draws. Karen has a lot of bows from a lot of different manufactures (Mathews, Bowtech, Diamond, PSE, etc.) It is a wonderful opportunity for women to try different bows. Check out the test flight schedule, depending on where you live, there may be one close to you!
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
my wife shoot a mission menace and i think its great bow because of the diff dl and the weight goes from 30 to 52 lbs just prefect for her as she grows to diff weight

·
Registered
729 Posts
The best thing to do is take her to a shop that has a decent stock of shorter draw length and lower weight bows. The important thing to remember is that what feels good to you or anyone else may not feel right to her. In order for her to like the sport, especially if she is a new shooter, is let her be part of the experience of picking out a bow. As all the recommendations are great, it is crucial that she be the one with the final say-so.
I second this advice! Everyone is different, and she should be the one to make the final decision after she's tried as many bows as she can get her hands on that are set to a draw weight she can easily handle. Trying to muscle too many pounds on a bow that isn't the correct draw length is the quickest way to suck the fun out of learning to shoot!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I second this advice! Everyone is different, and she should be the one to make the final decision after she's tried as many bows as she can get her hands on that are set to a draw weight she can easily handle. Trying to muscle too many pounds on a bow that isn't the correct draw length is the quickest way to suck the fun out of learning to shoot!
Exactly.There are so many to choose from these days.The main thing is that she likes it and is comfortable with it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Wife's bow

Bought my wife a Fred Bear Apprentice (pink)
50lb max and I think 20lb adjustability
draw length adjustable with no press

And I got her some pretty pink victory's in 500 spine w/Blazers

Think the bow (RTS package) was less than $280

She really likes it, and if she gets really serious we can upgrade and hand this down to my daughter.

·
Registered
30,678 Posts
Pearson Pathfinder is a good, inexpensive bow. I got one for my daughter who only occasionally shoots with us. She tested out a few in the shop and liked that one the best. She said it felt stable, the grip was nice, it was lightweight.. and it looked good. I got her the entire package for $300.

Parker Sidekick is also a good choice, Martin Cheetah, Parker Blazer.. there are a few good ones in the lower price range.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
the martin leopard is my wifes choice, single cam great valley and 15# weight range, quiet and fast and list about 329, she also really like the pse choas and we are going to add that one for her also, also doesnt break the bank..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts