Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a dilemma. I'm looking to graduate to a new, better bow (I shoot a Diamond Infinite Edge Pro now...). My issue is I do have a short draw length: a proud 26.5 inches. The peak draw weight for my bow at 26.5in is 66 lbs. I've surpassed that. I'd like a bow that will allow me to pull at east 70. I find that most women's bows will accommodate my draw length, but now my draw weight. Men's bows give me the weight, but not the always the length. I can't be the only girl trying to beat the big guys, right? Does anyone have an suggestions or experience in this? Or am I topped out at 66lbs? I I hunt both big and small game, as well as compete in BHFS 3D competitions. Any input will help!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Check out the Elite Impulse 31. If my daughters get to that Dl that will be one I want her to look at. She has an Elite Spirit now. Normally I recommend it. But in your case I would look more at the Impulse. It's a faster bow overall. Down to 26" DL up to 80 lbs DW.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Chill SDX will fit your needs. My Sweetie has a short draw for sure at 23.5" and shoots 52# with one

·
Ice Cold
11,786 Posts
"Women's" Bows

I'm not going to challenge you to arm wrestle

The Hoyt #1 cams
I hear prime has something coming maybe
Bowtech BTX 28

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Check out the Obsession bows, they have several model's that will fit your needs.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Check out Xpedition Archery. Any of their bows except for the Perfexion are available in the spec you are looking for. ATA 's range from 30" to 34".

·
Registered
699 Posts
Prime bows are offered down to 26" and up to 70 lbs standard. They currently have three models and all of them would fit you fine.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,523 Posts
I'm in a dilemma. I'm looking to graduate to a new, better bow (I shoot a Diamond Infinite Edge Pro now...). My issue is I do have a short draw length: a proud 26.5 inches. The peak draw weight for my bow at 26.5in is 66 lbs. I've surpassed that. I'd like a bow that will allow me to pull at east 70. I find that most women's bows will accommodate my draw length, but now my draw weight. Men's bows give me the weight, but not the always the length. I can't be the only girl trying to beat the big guys, right? Does anyone have an suggestions or experience in this? Or am I topped out at 66lbs? I I hunt both big and small game, as well as compete in BHFS 3D competitions. Any input will help!
I wish I had a 26.5" draw. My draw length is 26". There are many bows that will do what you need to have done with excellence. I did it for years. Your challenge is keeping your arrow speed legal for ASA or NFAA 3D if you use the heavier draw weight. If you are talking about shooting unsanctioned 3D or IBO 3D then using 70 lbs isn't an issue.

A multi-purpose bow generally has a longer axle to axle length than the popular short a-to-a "hunting" bows. For many year I killed a pile of deer AND shot 58 - 60 X games with a 36" a-to-a bow that maxed out at 60 lbs.

I strongly suggest getting bow that has minimum draw length that is shorter than your 26.5" draw. Having the little bit to play with while tuning can be important and a bow performs better in it's longer draw lengths. Personally I will never get another bow that has my 26" draw length as it's minimum length.

I am kind of doing the same thing.........
Right now I am looking the PSE '17 Decree 35, '16 Decree HD (pretty much the same bow) and the '17 PSE Vendetta with 65 lb limbs for national ASA tournament and indoor spot shooting competition. Also the PSE '15-'16 BowMadness 34 or '17 Vendetta are known to be virtually target bows with hunting bow speed and have not short or long axle-to-axle length (34" a-to-a). I know a few guys that are shooting the PSE BM34 for spots, field, 3d and hunting with well above average target scores.

I am leaning heavily toward the Vendetta because it goes down well below my draw length and is very fast......... I also know for a fact that it is a pure shooting machine even though it costs a lot less than many bows! BUT I also like the Decree HD or Decree 35. The only I reason I don't jump straight on the Decree is because it only goes down .5" shorter than my draw length.

There are a LOT of bows from many manufacturers that shoot very well at 26.5" and 70 lbs. I am hunting with a little '16 PSE Decree IC that shoots great and really zips arrows. The '17 Decree 32 is very similar. You just need to decide the general specs of the bow you want such as approximate axle-to-axle and letoff. I do not use high letoff for target shooting of any kind preferring 65% letoff for better shot execution.

By the way, if there is anything in this country that you can't kill with 65 lbs on a 340 IBO bow with a 26.5" draw I want to know what it is!! I'd use a heavier arrow and cut-on-contact head if I were Grizzly or Polar bear hunting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
From what I'm seeing in our shops dealer catalog almost every PSE should fit your draw length and many of them can be ordered in different weights. Some very nice models you might be interested in are the Drive R SD which can be ordered in Muddy Girl Purple(an attractive finish) or the Brute Force Lite which I've had yet to hear a single bad thing about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! While I understand 65# is enough to "kill a pile of deer"... If I can pull more than that, I'm sure gonna. Looks like I'll be traveling to my nearest PSE dealer! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Xpedition Xcursion
Hoyt Defiant

These two if you want yokes.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Look toward the athens ace. One heck of a bow

·
Registered
631 Posts
With a 26.5" DL you can shoot most bows. Just go to a local shop and start shooting. I don't really understand the dilemma.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well. I don't have a local shop, I have to travel a couple hours to get to the nearest ones. Different shops carry different brands and makers. I was asking if anyone had any advice or insight as to what bows I should start to look at. None of the bows at the sports warehouse here carry what I need. Thanks anyway? I'm not really sure why you thought that would be helpful to me...

·
Registered
901 Posts
the problem maybe that most bow shops don't stock high pound shorter then average draw lenght bows for you to shoot and tryout. there is a lot choices though ,probably to many. just nothing in your DL to tryout in most shops

1 - 20 of 34 Posts