Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions for a compound bow for my wife.
She is currently shooting a Hoyt Dorado recurve at 40# with about a 26 inch draw, shooting 'instinctive'. She does quite well with it on the indoor range but she has expressed an interest in hunting. She's very athletic so I'm pretty sure she could draw up to 50# with a compound and I think having a sight would help boost her confidence. I think the key features would need to be:

Long enough axle to axle for finger shooting.
Light enough to carry in the woods all day.
Small grip similar to Dorado
40-50# draw weight
25-27 inch draw length

Really just looking for brand/model suggestions so I can keep my eyes open for a good deal.

Thanks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
the the Mystic comes highly recommended. when i was looking for a fingers bow, the guy in NZs main archery shop was trying to sell me one of those. but then i scored my 06 caribou for a (much) better deal lol.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I'm looking for suggestions for a compound bow for my wife.
She is currently shooting a Hoyt Dorado recurve at 40# with about a 26 inch draw, shooting 'instinctive'. She does quite well with it on the indoor range but she has expressed an interest in hunting. She's very athletic so I'm pretty sure she could draw up to 50# with a compound and I think having a sight would help boost her confidence. I think the key features would need to be:

Long enough axle to axle for finger shooting.
Light enough to carry in the woods all day.
Small grip similar to Dorado
40-50# draw weight
25-27 inch draw length

Really just looking for brand/model suggestions so I can keep my eyes open for a good deal.

Thanks.
....If it were my Wife, and I was looking for a bow to fit the description that You have specified, I'd be looking for an, early model Hoyt UltraTec, or ProTec, with XT-2000 limbs, and the original Cam 1/2's, or a Hoyt MagnaTec with the same limbs/cams...Another bow that I'd look for would be a Mathews Conquest Light, and put the Mini-Max cam on it....A Q2XL would work well, also....I know of a Barnsdale that is shorter A-T-A,(38", I think?) has the Tri-Star wheels, and is approx. 26" draw...Limbs max at approx. 50#...it's a Target colored bow, but You can spray paint the riser and limb pockets, and put camo tape on the limbs, and after hunting season, just take the limbs off, and use acetone to take the spray paint off the riser..Actually, You could just camo tape the whole bow, I did that once, and used a razor blade to carefully cut and wrap the tape, and from a few feet away, it looked pretty good...The camo tape will help protect the bow from getting dings/scratches on it also.......it wont harm the anodized finish...As for a new bow, the AlphaMax 35 would fit the bill nicely, or a Mathews Drenalin LD....The Martin Mystic would be a nice bow to look at as well...With a 26" draw length, She can get by nicely with a shorter bow that someone with a longer draw, and still shoot with Fingers....Hope that my rambling post has helped You out........Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts