Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ladies...need your help on this! I need to purchase my hunting clothing (pants, jacket, etc) as this is my first season hunting, but I am just at a loss as to what is recommended. It appears Realtree AP HD is probably the best for my area, so at least I know the camo design. However, without being able to try on or feel the clothing, I'm at a huge disadvantage which I know you ladies can understand! There is a BassPro 10 min from me, but I haven't seen a piece of clothing designated for women who hunt in the store...only online.

Anyone have recommendations of what to go with? I'm in Massachusetts and mornings and evenings are settling in around 40 degrees. Preferably something quiet, waterproof, warm, scentlok (or similar though I do have a scent-free to spray on)....

Help is greatly appreciated!!:teeth:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have Levi brand camo jeans that i got at Sportsmans Warehouse. They are really comfy, just not as long as i'd like them (but i have a 28 inch inseam, so NOTHING is as long as i'd like it! lol!) If you order them online, know that the sizes run weird. I normally wear a 5/6 and 8's fit me perfect with Levi's.

My shirts are some brand called Ranger? Got them at Sportsmans too. They are long sleeved, so i normally just layer them over other layers if it's cold. They are REALLY soft though, i love them!

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
Good luck on your quest....here is what we have learned so far in buying camo....

Layer!!! Get some good insulated long johns, they will be your friend!!

Good socks!!

Good boots, I love my Danner pronghorns, they are pricey but the most comfortable boot I have ever put on my feet!!

Outerlayers, good luck on finding womens clothing...our bass pro in Nashville has a little bitty womens section...tiny, tiny. You will be better off to try and find some mens that fit you some better. Fleece is great and it holds its color better than cotton plus it is warmer. Wool is even better but pricey too but where you live it might be wise to invest in it.

Hope this helps some, let us know what you find!!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Ok ladies...need your help on this! I need to purchase my hunting clothing (pants, jacket, etc) as this is my first season hunting, but I am just at a loss as to what is recommended. It appears Realtree AP HD is probably the best for my area, so at least I know the camo design. However, without being able to try on or feel the clothing, I'm at a huge disadvantage which I know you ladies can understand! There is a BassPro 10 min from me, but I haven't seen a piece of clothing designated for women who hunt in the store...only online.

Anyone have recommendations of what to go with? I'm in Massachusetts and mornings and evenings are settling in around 40 degrees. Preferably something quiet, waterproof, warm, scentlok (or similar though I do have a scent-free to spray on)....

Help is greatly appreciated!!:teeth:
So far all the Bass Pros I've been to have had ONE rack designated for women's hunting clothing... it's not much but the new RedHead ladies gear is actually really nice. Check it out online if you get a chance, you might be able to order it online and return it to the store if it doesn't fit good.

Also checkout SHE Safari's line of Realtree outerwear... specifically their C4 system. This is my first year using it but it feels like it will be very warm for me.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered the Alpha Burlys from LaCrosse directly (FYI, they don't charge shipping costs) and should be receiving them this week. However, after reading the other thread on boots, am wondering about those Danners now... We shall see!

I did check out SheSafari... There are quite a few pairs on there and the C4s are ones I was checking out, but the price is a killer since I have to purchase so much hunting stuff. I will do it though if they are well worth it!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have the Alpha Burlys and so far really like them. As far as camo clothes. I think everything I own is mens. Last time I was in the BPS in Sieverville, TN they had the largest selection of womens clothing I have ever seen (3 racks and had SHE, Prois, and Redhead). I really wanted the SHE Fleece pullover but I found a men's fleece that was a lot thicker and half the price. So my best advice, aside from layering, would be don't be afraid to check out/try on the clothes in the men's department.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried on a pair of men's pants and the crotch was down to my knees! Do any of you who wear the mens clothing find that? I'm not opposed to buying a men's jacket (mainly due to chest size!), but I am concerned with the arm length and bulkiness.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I ordered the Alpha Burlys from LaCrosse directly (FYI, they don't charge shipping costs) and should be receiving them this week. However, after reading the other thread on boots, am wondering about those Danners now... We shall see!
I have the Alpha Burlys in 1500 grams, they've served me well. Very comfortable & warm. I do wear a knee high wool blend hunting sock. The ones I like are by Lorpen and I got them online from Muck Boots. I also have the LaCrosse Brawny II in 1200 grams, also very cormfortable, warm and extremely lightweight.

As for clothes, I'm trying to figure out my own needs for cold weather gear. It's expensive and funds are tight, so that makes it more difficult. I do have the advantage of not being petite, most my things are mens.

Kerry

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
I tried on a pair of men's pants and the crotch was down to my knees! Do any of you who wear the mens clothing find that? I'm not opposed to buying a men's jacket (mainly due to chest size!), but I am concerned with the arm length and bulkiness.
Yes!! Even the smallest mens pants, the crotch is to my knees. With the Men's jackets, the sleeves are usually the problem; too big around (have to tape them up to get em out of the way of my string), and too long. That's one thing I like about my BPS RedHead women's jacket, the sleeves are just right.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I just got some new camo: Vertigo/scentlok

Men's pants size medium had to be hemmed up about 6 inches. They have the elastic waist so the medium fit pretty good...it's hard to find a men's small in anything.

Men's coat, yes the sleeves are long but I put a slight roll in the cuff area and I will also wrap the sleeve because it is a bit to bulky.

It seams the heavier of clothing you go the bigger it feels.

Gloves, I get by with a small.

Boots, Rockies

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought my wife a pair of Alpha Burly's and a She Safari C4 jacket and pants combo. I agree it was a lot of money, but she is warm, comfortable and feels confident when shes out hunting. In my mind it is better to make the investment upfront and enjoy it then buy something to "get by" and later regret. She will get a lot of years out of this outfit.

BG:darkbeer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts