Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9,923 Posts
Love turkey hunting, but they are the one animal that I prefer hunting with a gun. Just don't enjoy being stuck in one location, in a blind. Run and gun. If one bird doesn't cooperate, I'll move on to a bird that will.
I 100% agree with you and I absolutely love turkey hunting. Turkey are the only species I prefer to gun hunt. I don't like being stuck in a blind and I love to set up new turkey shotguns and pattern them with chokes and TSS. Just like I tune my bows, I tune my shotguns for turkey hunting. Here are my turkey guns!

· Registered
9,923 Posts
Wow and I thought I had a problem lol. Had a mossberg 835 with a cheap tru glo gobble dot scope, but hated how that gun kicked, so sold it. I now have a Remington Versa Max sportsman turkey edition with a Burris FastFire 3 red dot and an Indian Creek Diamondback choke. I pair the gun with 3" 2oz Federal TSS and the gun just flat out shoots.
My 835 was awesome but kicked way too much. I shot 3.5" for a while but they rocked me big time so never again. I hear the Versa Max is a real nice shooting gun. And I am also a big fan of the Burris FF3 and Indian Creeks. Good luck this season.

· Registered
9,923 Posts
For the experts is this worth using or should I be looking at something else?
View attachment 7784075
If I was going to bring a single decoy with me it would be my DSD jake. They work very well and there is always the chance you will get a nice show when the tom starts to attack it.

• Helpful
Reactions: ShootingABN!

· Registered
9,923 Posts
Fired up about getting that mach 34 out and leave your scatter gun at home? Sorry couldn't resist! :p
Beacuse of a huge growing population of birds Long Island NY will have it's first ever season this May and I will be using my bow. Looking forward to it because my hunting spot is loaded with nice toms. But when I travel the Winchester's are coming out lol.

· Registered
9,923 Posts
Turkey hunted my whole life with a gun until last year. Compound bow in a leaf suit using only natural hides. MAN is it a whole new level of both difficulty and FUN!

Last season doing soI had two jakes on my lap 5 FEET away from me with only a 3’ tall patch of briars in between us.. thought one of them was going to literally jump over the briars onto the deer trail I was hiding on. Ended up getting a shot off as they moved out a bit but I missed low.

Couple hours later I ended up spotting two toms creeping around four hens in the adjacent field.. made a move on them and set up shop about 150 yards in front of them. One of the toms ended up getting ahead of the rest of the flock and came in to a beautiful broadside shot about 15 yards out.. took my shot and watched the arrow go through him, but a little further forward than I was hoping for. He flipped as the arrow when through him, which made the arrow stick in the ground vertically. The flock took off towards a woods line and he followed behind looking a little shook up but not quite hurt. Upon checking the arrow, I found a tiny bit of blood on one of the vanes, and what looked like meat on that same side of the shaft, definitely hit him in the breast unfortunately. Looked for him for over two hours with no luck.. he either made it or became dog food.

With that being said, I will admit turkey hunting with a shotgun is probably more “ethical” for simplicity sake.. I’ve never crippled a bird with a gun and have quite a few under my belt. BUT, it was completely my fault for making a bad shot, and I’ve practiced like hell since that day to be ready for next season. It’s just way too much fun, no way I see myself going back to the gun any time soon.
Sounds like an awesome hunt!!!

· Registered
9,923 Posts
Stop telling people about cent. Montana
The Hunting Public is zooming in on Google Earth right now. I think besides egg killing predators Youtube hunters are also doing damage but in a different way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts