Archery Talk Forum banner

Wont be long boys!!

3068 Views 88 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  deer310sg
Still have a long winter ahead here in Mo. and surrounding states. But it's around the corner!
My new farm this past fall has plenty of birds.
Already know where the blinds will be set!
Who out there bowhunts thunder chickens?
Wood Font Art Handwriting Fashion accessory
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
13,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the last 2 years but haven't got one yet. Did get one in pretty close last year. Hoping to get over the hump!
Keep after em! Nothing like a gobbler, or hen 5 yards out doin their thing! The interaction is adrenaline to the MAX!
Good luck!

· Registered
13,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love turkey hunting, but they are the one animal that I prefer hunting with a gun. Just don't enjoy being stuck in one location, in a blind. Run and gun. If one bird doesn't cooperate, I'll move on to a bird that will.
Nothing wrong with that, good luck man.

· Registered
13,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I 100% agree with you and I absolutely love turkey hunting. Turkey are the only species I prefer to gun hunt. I don't like being stuck in a blind and I love to set up new turkey shotguns and pattern them with chokes and TSS. Just like I tune my bows, I tune my shotguns for turkey hunting. Here are my turkey guns!

Congrats on your scatter gun kill! 🙄🙄

· Registered
13,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I plan to kill one with my bow this year. I need to brainstorm a bit, because I will be without a blind and very mobile… they are just so paranoid and see everything!

thought about a blind, but I’m covering a lot of ground and like keeping it simple. Besides a couple half days on either end of a trip, I will be walking at least 15 miles in a full day and often do 6-8 setups during a day, and those quick reposition scenarios aren’t happening with a blind… maybe a 2 panel or something would work. Those birds cover a ton of ground and everything is a long walk to get into the zones.

I think just building makeshift blinds as I go might be best, maybe some camo mesh…
Absolutely will work! Hunting merriams?

· Registered
13,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I bow hunt them as well, no blind. Not a blind hater, just wanted a new challenge. I have done it for the past 3 years now. I hung up the mossberg haha. Love it and I won’t go back to a gun in the near future.
Very nice! Yeah there's something about arrowing a bird very satisying!
Haven't gun hunted in years.
Nothing against it, just my thing!

· Registered
13,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
For me at least, I can’t help but feel that turkeys and shotguns were made for eachother. Kudos to the guys successful enough with the gun to somehow arrive at a thought of loosing an arrow at one of these birds one day, but to me it’s just not a necessary or attractive disadvantage to take up lol
Us bowhunters just don't fling arrows at birds. Ir's all about getting birds in close. So close that you see them blink.
Loosing an arrow happens. Especially for guys that just fling.
Do your part and practice, you can make it happen. 👍🏹

· Registered
13,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
This went down as the most EXCITING hunts for me since hunting them with a bow over the past 25 years. Got on a hot gobbler on the move early May 2020 so I went after him keeping the terrain to my advantage until he appeared on the ridge parallel to me at 125-150 yards away. He took one look at the intruder and came running full speed straight at me, popped into 1/2 strut, and I dropped him in his tracks at 7 yards.

View attachment 7786487

View attachment 7786486

View attachment 7786488
That there's what's it's all about! Congrats!

· Registered
13,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Bowhunting turkey is quite a challenge. After three months of winter and being cooped up indoors, it's just fun to get within 15yds of one. I've been using a hex suit for a few years, and it has been a game changer. I also have the best luck with just one hen decoy. View attachment 7787229
Very nice man, it's a blast for sure!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts