Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,129 Posts
Love turkey hunting, but they are the one animal that I prefer hunting with a gun. Just don't enjoy being stuck in one location, in a blind. Run and gun. If one bird doesn't cooperate, I'll move on to a bird that will.

· Registered
4,129 Posts
I see some guys that deer hunt say they don't get excited about turkey hunting. I've never understood that. Nothing more exciting then a Tom hammering in response to your calls and then that blue head closing the distance. Love both deer and turkey hunting. Glad I don't have to choose between the 2.

Attachments

· Registered
4,129 Posts
I 100% agree with you and I absolutely love turkey hunting. Turkey are the only species I prefer to gun hunt. I don't like being stuck in a blind and I love to set up new turkey shotguns and pattern them with chokes and TSS. Just like I tune my bows, I tune my shotguns for turkey hunting. Here are my turkey guns!
Wow and I thought I had a problem lol. Had a mossberg 835 with a cheap tru glo gobble dot scope, but hated how that gun kicked, so sold it. I now have a Remington Versa Max sportsman turkey edition with a Burris FastFire 3 red dot and an Indian Creek Diamondback choke. I pair the gun with 3" 2oz Federal TSS and the gun just flat out shoots.

· Registered
4,129 Posts
I’m still deer hunting, not worried about turkeys lol
I can multifocus ha. Yea 2 weeks left of archery deer here in Ohio, but still daydreaming about hammering gobblers and warmer weather.

· Registered
4,129 Posts
I want to try and do a Merriams hunt soon. Living in Ohio, it's the travel time that's the challenge. Suppose I could fly somewhere, but would really like to get one mounted, if I was successful. Would prefer a diy hunt over an outfitter, but going somewhere blind it can take a few days to figure out a new location.

Reactions: roosiebull

· Registered
4,129 Posts
All I have ever hunter is Merriams, I want to try and expand some day. Where are you looking at going?
I was thinking South Dakota or Nebraska. Seems like both have a fair amount of birds and public land. Anywhere you recommend?

· Registered
4,129 Posts
For the experts is this worth using or should I be looking at something else?
View attachment 7784075
I have one and it works well. I made a few adjustments. One, cut the beard down, so it looks like a Jake. A Tom decoy will scare off many younger gobblers. Second, I use real tail feathers from a turkey in place of the artificial fan. It comes with a piece of plastic you can put feathers in and attach it to the decoy. Finally, works best with a hen. Place the gobbler decoy 10 to 15 feet behind the hen, like it's following her. I have shot toms off the top of thst decoy, trying to spur it to death ha.

Reactions: Uniquename

· Registered
4,129 Posts
Get a heads up decoy and bow hunt run and gun, it is a blast and we have started having pretty good success doing it that way!
I'll pass. Each to their own. Up there with fanning. Great way to get shot. No thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts