Archery Talk Forum banner

Wont be long boys!!

2903 88
Still have a long winter ahead here in Mo. and surrounding states. But it's around the corner!
My new farm this past fall has plenty of birds.
Already know where the blinds will be set!
Who out there bowhunts thunder chickens?
Wood Font Art Handwriting Fashion accessory
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

· Registered
207 Posts
I kill some but only because the piss me off. We have a hundred around if we have one.
I used to love hunting them. Any more they are just a nuisance.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
maybe you could alert your dnr and they could trap and relocate an unpopulated area? our farm had them planted by dnr in the 80s. there were very few around here now there are turkey everywhere.

· Registered
Mathews V3X 33
10 Posts
I have the last 2 years but haven't got one yet. Did get one in pretty close last year. Hoping to get over the hump!
Good luck keep after it you'll get one!

Love turkey hunting, but they are the one animal that I prefer hunting with a gun. Just don't enjoy being stuck in one location, in a blind. Run and gun. If one bird doesn't cooperate, I'll move on to a bird that will.
I feel the exact same way. Nothing like it IMO

· Registered
Mathews V3X 33
10 Posts
Believe it or not I'm still out after them until Saturday. We have a Jan 14-28th season here and it's been fun. Figured I do some post season deer scouting with the chance to take a bird. But still there's nothing like spring.

· Registered
9,427 Posts
Love turkey hunting, but they are the one animal that I prefer hunting with a gun. Just don't enjoy being stuck in one location, in a blind. Run and gun. If one bird doesn't cooperate, I'll move on to a bird that will.
Same I like being out and mobile with my A5, got skunked last year though.

· Registered
2020 Bowtech Revolt X
13 Posts
Still have a long winter ahead here in Mo. and surrounding states. But it's around the corner!
My new farm this past fall has plenty of birds.
Already know where the blinds will be set!
Who out there bowhunts thunder chickens?
View attachment 7783971
For me at least, I can’t help but feel that turkeys and shotguns were made for eachother. Kudos to the guys successful enough with the gun to somehow arrive at a thought of loosing an arrow at one of these birds one day, but to me it’s just not a necessary or attractive disadvantage to take up lol

· Registered
13,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
For me at least, I can’t help but feel that turkeys and shotguns were made for eachother. Kudos to the guys successful enough with the gun to somehow arrive at a thought of loosing an arrow at one of these birds one day, but to me it’s just not a necessary or attractive disadvantage to take up lol
Us bowhunters just don't fling arrows at birds. Ir's all about getting birds in close. So close that you see them blink.
Loosing an arrow happens. Especially for guys that just fling.
Do your part and practice, you can make it happen. 👍🏹

· Premium Member
381 Posts
This went down as the most EXCITING hunts for me since hunting them with a bow over the past 25 years. Got on a hot gobbler on the move early May 2020 so I went after him keeping the terrain to my advantage until he appeared on the ridge parallel to me at 125-150 yards away. He took one look at the intruder and came running full speed straight at me, popped into 1/2 strut, and I dropped him in his tracks at 7 yards.

Automotive tire Plant Tree Parachute People in nature

Automotive tire Tire Tread Tree Plant

Plant Natural environment People in nature Tree Working animal

· audentes fortuna iuvat
21,463 Posts
I could probably set a blind up in my yard and kill a turkey. I just don't have the desire to hunt them anymore. They come through the yard regularly. They are having a tough winter here so there might not be many around come spring.

Plant Bird Branch Twig Wood
Plant Vertebrate Bird Tree Natural landscape
Bird Plant Plant community Beak Natural landscape
Plant Vertebrate Bird Beak Mammal

· audentes fortuna iuvat
21,463 Posts
This went down as the most EXCITING hunts for me since hunting them with a bow over the past 25 years. Got on a hot gobbler on the move early May 2020 so I went after him keeping the terrain to my advantage until he appeared on the ridge parallel to me at 125-150 yards away. He took one look at the intruder and came running full speed straight at me, popped into 1/2 strut, and I dropped him in his tracks at 7 yards.

View attachment 7786487

View attachment 7786486

View attachment 7786488
That's awesome.

· Registered
13,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·

View attachment 7786487

View attachment 7786486

View attachment 7786488
That there's what's it's all about! Congrats!

· Registered
Bear Archery Wild. Team #9 - 9 TInes the charm
2,632 Posts
I could probably set a blind up in my yard and kill a turkey. I just don't have the desire to hunt them anymore. They come through the yard regularly. They are having a tough winter here so there might not be many around come spring.

View attachment 7786505 View attachment 7786506 View attachment 7786507 View attachment 7786509
There use to be a large flock behind my house but the population got destroyed over the last 5 years , mainly from racoons and opossums. I have killed lots of them in the last few years in hopes that the turkey come back.

This summer was the first time I saw one on camera in 3 years. Just 2 hens , but it was nice.

Every year I tell myself I'll go turkey hunting but I never do. Maybe this year I'll go out as I have 2 great locations ( not behind my house lol) with a flock of around 20-25 birds and another with a flock of around 15.

· audentes fortuna iuvat
21,463 Posts
There use to be a large flock behind my house but the population got destroyed over the last 5 years , mainly from racoons and opossums. I have killed lots of them in the last few years in hopes that the turkey come back.

This summer was the first time I saw one on camera in 3 years. Just 2 hens , but it was nice.

Every year I tell myself I'll go turkey hunting but I never do. Maybe this year I'll go out as I have 2 great locations ( not behind my house lol) with a flock of around 20-25 birds and another with a flock of around 15.
I think the wolves have killed everything that eats turkeys around here. No other explanation for the turkey population boom this far north in Minnesota. They seem to be everywhere now. 20 years ago, not a single bird anywhere around here. I think the harsh winters are their worst enemy. I tell myself that every year too, lol. Maybe this year if they survive the winter. There's a better chance I'll be golfing though...

· Registered
Bear Archery Wild. Team #9 - 9 TInes the charm
2,632 Posts
I think the wolves have killed everything that eats turkeys around here. No other explanation for the turkey population boom this far north in Minnesota. They seem to be everywhere now. 20 years ago, not a single bird anywhere around here. I think the harsh winters are their worst enemy. I tell myself that every year too, lol. Maybe this year if they survive the winter. There's a better chance I'll be golfing though...
I'm not golfing till July 😀

I normally spend my spring fishing for trout and smallmouth.

· Registered
Bear Agenda 7, spot hog 7 pin, Bee stinger 10“ sport hunter extreme.
28 Posts
Stop telling people about cent. Montana
As you can see the natives aren’t always friendly.
it was simply a broad reference to a very large geographical area. Not giving anybody specifics here.
But on the other hand I understand you’re point of view. & You’re not wrong…

· Registered
1,190 Posts
I see some guys that deer hunt say they don't get excited about turkey hunting. I've never understood that. Nothing more exciting then a Tom hammering in response to your calls and then that blue head closing the distance. Love both deer and turkey hunting. Glad I don't have to choose between the 2.
I was one of those deer hunters until last spring.

My neighbor, his wife and I got in early opening day where we roasted them the night before. They were gobbling in the roost.

We got set and as the light started to show we could see the silhouette of the 4 Toms in the roost and all the hens around. They kept gobbling back and forth, some of the hens clucking.

Then at watched 2 Toms fly down from the roost and one started to strut right away.

So we give them a bit and my neighbor starts calling a bit with a pot call. We get a little talking back and forth, but it's not turning on yet. He takes a break and I put my mouth call in. Now, I'd practiced quite a bit and could do a decent repertoire. So, I start calling.

I start to get one riled up. I kept working him and he's fired up. Gobbling after everything I do and I can hear him getting closer. I know he's coming. Bringing him in on a line.

I work him for about 20 minutes. Calling, scratching leaves next to me. I hear a gobble and then a head pops over a rock. Another gobble. He hops up over this rock and stands the. We had agreed that we'd give his wife the first chance at a shot and I'm waiting for her to pull the trigger. The Tom gobbles one more time, looks around and hops out of sight.

She never pulled the trigger. She told us she wasn't sure about the shot and I'm fine with that. Would rather her hold than wound a bird. And, regardless, I was really excited about calling that bird in.

I can't wait for Spring.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts