Archery Talk Forum banner

Wont be long boys!!

2951 88
Still have a long winter ahead here in Mo. and surrounding states. But it's around the corner!
My new farm this past fall has plenty of birds.
Already know where the blinds will be set!
Who out there bowhunts thunder chickens?
Wood Font Art Handwriting Fashion accessory
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
For me at least, I can’t help but feel that turkeys and shotguns were made for eachother. Kudos to the guys successful enough with the gun to somehow arrive at a thought of loosing an arrow at one of these birds one day, but to me it’s just not a necessary or attractive disadvantage to take up lol
i feel the same. when its gun season im using the best tool for the job. and with the price of arrows im with you there too. a metal detector helps with those blow throughs at mild angles. i had to break one out this last deer season. in my 1 stand im setting about even with opposite creek bank. lol

anyone use their tree stand for turkey?

· Registered
2,146 Posts
As you can see the natives aren’t always friendly.
it was simply a broad reference to a very large geographical area. Not giving anybody specifics here.
But on the other hand I understand you’re point of view. & You’re not wrong…
It is not so big once you see the numbers that have flooded the area during hunting season. (A lot of new people to the area announcing what they have found now that western mt is overrun) And the locals in central Montana are quite nice actually. But we also appreciate people not broadcasting info after some of us have put in hard work to find areas.

· Registered
Bear Agenda 7, spot hog 7 pin, Bee stinger 10“ sport hunter extreme.
28 Posts
It is not so big once you see the numbers that have flooded the area during hunting season. (A lot of new people to the area announcing what they have found now that western mt is overrun) And the locals in central Montana are quite nice actually. But we also appreciate people not broadcasting info after some of us have put in hard work to find areas.
That makes sense. My bad.

· Registered
3,713 Posts
I plan to kill one with my bow this year. I need to brainstorm a bit, because I will be without a blind and very mobile… they are just so paranoid and see everything!

thought about a blind, but I’m covering a lot of ground and like keeping it simple. Besides a couple half days on either end of a trip, I will be walking at least 15 miles in a full day and often do 6-8 setups during a day, and those quick reposition scenarios aren’t happening with a blind… maybe a 2 panel or something would work. Those birds cover a ton of ground and everything is a long walk to get into the zones.

I think just building makeshift blinds as I go might be best, maybe some camo mesh…
I move around a lot too and use something like this to start with, then add more natural debris if needed.

The 2-panels are nice but are a lot more bulky and can get a lil heavy. These pack up around the size or smaller than a small umbrella. I didn't always have the time that I needed to build a good natural blind in a lot of Turkey huntin situations, but something like this cheap half blind gives you a good head start.

· Registered
318 Posts
Bowhunting turkey is quite a challenge. After three months of winter and being cooped up indoors, it's just fun to get within 15yds of one. I've been using a hex suit for a few years, and it has been a game changer. I also have the best luck with just one hen decoy.
Plant Bird Beak Phasianidae Hat

· Registered
13,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Bowhunting turkey is quite a challenge. After three months of winter and being cooped up indoors, it's just fun to get within 15yds of one. I've been using a hex suit for a few years, and it has been a game changer. I also have the best luck with just one hen decoy. View attachment 7787229
Very nice man, it's a blast for sure!

81 - 89 of 89 Posts