Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw an older, 1-piece recurve in a local pawn shop for $20.

Looked "well used", with a terrible spray on camo job and a string that was 1" too short (with no twists).

Looked like it wasn't cracked anywhere, so I took a chance.

Took some 000 steel wool and some rubbing alcohol, and 20 minutes later, here it is (turns out it is a Browning Nomad):

z1.jpg z2.jpg

z3.jpg z4.jpg

I replaced the rest and side plate, and ordered a new string. Should be here Wednesday and I'll be testing this bad boy out.

Is it worth $100? I think so. But man, it looks nice!

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I will probably never be a traditional shooter.
But I certainly appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship of them.
And...the sheer impressive ability by those I've been able to shoot with.

Nice job!

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me what some men will do to a bow
In the early times of stickbow bow hunting the mindset of being bougie was not as it is today. The bow was a hunting tool and most never considered classic or collectible.

2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The black glass facing looked cloudy and I couldn't buff it out, so I tried some old Turtle wax my neighbor gave me.

Wow!

I don't think anyone would say it looks NEW, but holy cow it looks great!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
In the early times of stickbow bow hunting the mindset of being bougie was not as it is today. The bow was a hunting tool and most never considered classic or collectible.
To me it still is a tool. That's why I won't pay a premium price for special wood or have one that is that nice to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
To me it still is a tool. That's why I won't pay a premium price for special wood or have one that is that nice to worry about.

I can see that. But, to me, it's also a tool and I pay premium prices for special woods because I like looking at them while hunting. I can see both sides.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts

There's a part of me that feels a bit sad for you. There's something to be said for running your hands over a beautiful recurve or longbow, while sitting in the woods on a beautiful day. It is something to be cherished.... Just like the kiss of a beautiful woman, or the laughter of a child. A screwdriver is a tool- some other things should be appreciated!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Never pass on pawn shops. Picked up a Browning Wasp in pristine condition. 56" 50 lb draw @28, 5 bucks. Now I need just the muscles to shoot it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not a bad looking bow at all. In the condition it's in, I think it's worth the $100 (going by ebay), easy...when you got it, maybe not so much. I like buying bows that need love and polishing money into them :)

You certainly didn't get screwed or anything though! Happy shooting!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice restoration. I would love to find a project like that! It would be hard not to crack a smile every time you send an arrow down range.

2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh man. It shoots so well! I tied a nock point and went shooting with a 6-pack of full length Cabela’s Stalker Extreme with 125 grain tips. It shoots really smoothly for me but I’m wondering if I should move the nock point up a touch.

It’s nothing about the arrow flight per se but I tied it in at +1/4” and the saw online that +1/2” is more typical. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
There's a part of me that feels a bit sad for you. There's something to be said for running your hands over a beautiful recurve or longbow, while sitting in the woods on a beautiful day. It is something to be cherished.... Just like the kiss of a beautiful woman, or the laughter of a child. A screwdriver is a tool- some other things should be appreciated!
Feel sad for yourself. Like a truck that's served me well for a quarter million miles or a scratched up old truck gun I've killed a hundred pigs and coyotes with the beauty is in the scratches, dings and memories of mud holes traversed, shots made and in the case of the beautiful woman, the kisses shared over 32 years of navigating life together, the wrinkles and scars remind of of where we've been.
I've known guys who wouldn't crawl through the mud stalking an animal or climb over a 7 strand fence because they didn't want to scratch their pretty wood.
I've owned a few old bows like the OPs. Actually have one now I've had for many years and have stuck a ton of carp and gar with it. Good old bows have a beauty all their own.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
You did a great job restoring that bows finish! !! I shoot a 5/8 inch nock height on several of my bows, but I shoot 3 under rather than split finger. You might study up on tuning. There's a bunch of info on here, and some youtube that you can trust. Again, great job!!! Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts