Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I just wasn't happy with any of the recurve bow cases that were available so I decided I would go ahead and make my own. OK I admit it, even if I could have found one I probably would still make my own. Admittedly this is not exactly top of the line but I see a case as being utilitarian and keeping the contents from being damaged is it's role. So I didn't want to make it too nice.

This is what I came up with:
Layout.jpg Finished_Closed.jpg Finished_bottom.jpg

This is what I used and how I made it. The sides are 1/2" plywood and the top and bottom is 3/16 Lauan Plywood. The lauan is a bit wavy and it shows up in the finishing but it was in-expensive. I used standard tongue and groove joints all glued together. Latches and piano hinge came from McMaster Car. The handle is a piece of leather wrapped around a piece of PVC pipe. I constructed the complete box fully enclosed. I then cut it in half using a table saw. The front corners have an aluminum L-Channel to strengthen the lid and to ensure it aligns properly. Feel free to ask questions I'm happy to help anyone interested in building their own.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Very cool! And a lot like the case I made. I really like the handle.

Arranging the limbs is an interesting trade-off in terms of space-efficiency or convenience. I went the other direction:

wfa-takedownbowcase-finished.jpg

What are your over-all dimensions and weight?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice hopefully we'll see some more!
I also plan on adding a holder for my arrows in the top. Thanks for sharing!

·
I learn the hard way.
6,661 Posts
Looks great! I wish I had the time and tools to build things like that.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I made mine w/ nothing but hand tools:

- hand saw
- dovetail saw
- homemade dovetail gauge
- chisel
- block plane (I'd've needed a jack and jointer plane true lumber if I hadn't used finished craft boards of the right dimensions)
- clamps
- screwdriver
- folding workbench

·
Registered
142 Posts
Did you route the area for the piano hinge?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you route the area for the piano hinge?
I used the table saw to notch in the hinge. This worked because the hinge is basically the entire length of the case.

;I made mine w/ nothing but hand tools:
Impressive! I've hand cut dove tails before and I love the look, but I'm not thrilled with the time investment required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts