Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking into creating a home bowshop of sorts, and the first piece to get is a work bench. What do y’all think about these two? Also, if you have other suggestions please let me know!

Computer Personal computer Laptop Peripheral Output device
Rectangle Font Output device Material property Screenshot

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’m a small FFL and I use these two side by side in my workshop for all my builds. Very solid with butcher block type tops which holds multiple vices very well.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'd go for something without the peg board on the back.. Thats just me..
You could kinda have a workstation on both sides. Hopefully something with wheels. A press on one side, something else like an bow vise and or arrow saw... All good stuff. Have fun with it..

Reactions: ThumbsMcGee86

·
Registered
20,248 Posts
Built my work bench back in about 1978, 8' X 2' legs & base used 2" X 4" & used 3/4" for top & shelf & covered the top with a tight weaved rug. 43 years latter still functional & being used daily. Have a shelf hanging from the rafters that is 80" X 12" with holes in the front for allen wrench's & screw drivers & box end wrenches hanging on finishing nails.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I’ve been researching and trying to decide on the same thing. I had narrowed it down to a few options, so I made a trip last weekend to Harbor Freight, Lowe’s, and Home Depot to check them out in person. I ended up going a different route than I was planning.

I saw these adjustable work tables at Home Depot and I really liked the idea of being able to raise and lower it. I am vertically challenged, so I was worried that the ones I was looking at plus the added height after mounting a press on top would make it too high for me personally. You can also just use a 12v drill to raise/lower it instead of the crank which is what I’m going to do since I am also using a drill with an adapter for my ez green.

They come in a few different sizes, and you can get them with or without drawers. You could also always put another cabinet underneath it if you wanted additional storage. It also comes with casters but up to you if you want to use them depending on if you need to move it around.

I wanted a different size than they had in the store, so I had to have it shipped to store. It was delivered Friday, but they apparently still haven’t unloaded it off the truck so I’m still waiting on the email to go pick it up. My only concern with it is how stable it will be with the weight of a press on the edge of it. If it’s too wobbly, I may try to find a way to reinforce it by putting another brace across the legs.

·
Registered
10,707 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
For 300+ if you've got a drill/impact driver you can make one way bigger way stronger and way cheaper. I had built a reloading bench out of 2x6s, 4x4s with the bench top being a solid oak door and I'd be comfortable rebuilding a 7.3l on it.

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
My work bench top is 54"x24" and the height is 37".

I'd go bigger if I had the space but it works really well as is.

Audio equipment Electronic instrument Electrical wiring Gas Machine

Reactions: ThumbsMcGee86

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,929 Posts
I have the Kobalt and it works well. I do have a stand alone press so that frees up a bunch of room.

·
Registered
25,813 Posts
40 years ago I bought a pair of steel workbench legs from an industrial supply shop and a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood from the local lumber yard. Dad and I ripped the plywood in half and then he finished the front edge and ends so it looked more custom. Next I found an 8'x24" plywood scrap in his shop as a lower shelf. It has a standard bench vise on the left end and a bicycle work vice on the right as my bow vice. Most of my archery hand tools are in a tray system or plastic upright three drawer unit that sits to the rear bench top. My BTM bowpress is freestanding on an old metal school stool and takes up far less work area. It has worked well for me for decades, but if I had pegboard I would use it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I saw one of these last week and instantly thought it would be the perfect bench for a bow setup. I'm definitely planning on getting one. The drawers aren't very deep, but I think they would be very helpful. I also like the idea of working from both sides and then move it to a wall for storing it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts