Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 350 acres in rural SC. Farm Country. Always something going on in terms of tractors and noise, but maybe not so much in the woods. Occasionally we get random dogs that were let go miles away push deer, happened while on stand a few weeks ago.

I have a stand I hung this year. Its on the edge of a huge field in the corner. THere is a large drainage ditch that need a bridge, I was wading through it to get to the stand. In front of me is a pine thicket that runs up the opposite edge of the field.

I have already killed a doe out of it and have seen deer on most sits. We had a huge ice storm last winter and it really hurt the pines, lots of down branches, trees, tree tops etc. Everytime I sat this new stand I wanted to move the timber to create a funnel to push deer by the closer to the stand. I had seen quite few deer picking through the fallen trash out of range. The doe I killed was at 40yds.

So last Friday I cut and pulled all the timber out of my 30 yard range and set up a block to funnel the deer within 30 yards of my stand. I also opened up the trail by the thicket to create a better walk way. Its hard to articulate, but I was in there for an hour working.

My question is this: In an area where deer are used to hearing humans and lots of farming work, how long should I wait before hunting the improved stand. People work the fields, but they don't go in the woods. However this stand is just inside the woodline.

I'd love to hear stories of people working on stands in season and having success shortly thereafter.

Thanks for your input

·
Silent Death
2,895 Posts
I would get in there and hunt it as soon as possible. In early November I had deer skirting me, so I went in on a rainy day and hung another stand where the deer were moving. The very next day wind was perfect so I climbed into the tree, an hour and a half later I killed my buck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts