Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started weight lifting about 3 months ago and hadn't been shooting at all. First 3d this weekend I thought I may try to get my new bow ready I bought to try open class. Shot and sighted in Sunday. Did my typical Monday workout and came home to shoot before dark (shoulders and triceps on Monday). My groups weren't too much worse than usual, but I felt like the bow just would not hold steady. How many of you work out before shooting? Do you notice these affects? I'm worried about how it may affect my scores this weekend. How much time do you need after working out before you are back to 100%shooting ability?

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I typically try to shoot before I lift. Fatigued muscles can definitely affect how steady you can hold. That said, I will shoot after lifting from time to time to train for hunting because there are times you'll be fatigued when the shot presents itself and I want to know I can make it count under those conditions.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I typically try to shoot before I lift. Fatigued muscles can definitely affect how steady you can hold. That said, I will shoot after lifting from time to time to train for hunting because there are times you'll be fatigued when the shot presents itself and I want to know I can make it count under those conditions.
I understand what you mean. My schedule is a 4 day split (m,t,t,f) and want to make sure a day is enough rest prior to a shoot I want to do good on

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I understand what you mean. My schedule is a 4 day split (m,t,t,f) and want to make sure a day is enough rest prior to a shoot I want to do good on

I just got back into lifting myself after a couple year break. I used to lift heavy 4-5 days a week. I always noticed the day after a hard workout, especially back or triceps which are obviously important in holding a bow steady I would feel a little shake and stiff the first few shots but after warming up a little I didn't think it affected me much. I probably wouldn't do a killer back workout the day or 2 before a tournament but other than that I don't think it'll affect you too much if you can shoot a few warm up shots before the shoot.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I found doing a heavy upper body workout within a day or two of shooting will completely wreck my accuracy shooting my re-curve (instinctive). I am guessing that because I do not use any point of reference it is all off feel and when I am sore nothing feels right which plays havoc on muscle memory. Shooting my compound is a different story, feels odd but accuracy stays the same. I guess having sights overrides how the shot is supposed to feel.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I try not to do upper body the same day I shoot. In my opinion, your body needs time to recover from a good workout.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
3 days if you're bulking + lots of protean. I think its still three for tone and aerobic just minus the extra protein.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I don't workout before I shoot.

Probably need a day or two in between depending on how hard you hit it in the
gym. I'm a welder by trade. I never lifted when I had to weld test as I was shaky
the following day.

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's a struggle sometimes after any type of upper-body workout, that pin just doesn't want to settle down. Most if not all archers will tell you it's not ideal to shoot after lifting if you intend to shoot your best. I still do it from time to time because I value physical fitness and also love shooting and refuse to have one rule out the other on any given day. :)

·
RayJ
567 Posts
I would rest an hour at least after working out before shooting.For me,an hour is good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
I don't shoot same day I work out.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
If you shoot after your workouts every day, eventually your body will become accustomed to it and it will be second nature. But if you don't.....I'd wait a couple days before shooting for score.

·
can I shoot it?
17,052 Posts
Like others have said if you are trying to shoot spots are really concentrating on getting better then wait a day or two. I try to plan my workouts and shooting ahead of time then stick to the schedule. Of course that is always easier said then done. Just know if life happens and you can't stick to the schedule then your shooting might be a bit off. I would compensate by decreasing the amount of arrows shot and just focusing on a select few arrow and getting them off the best I can.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I always shot before i worked out. But i will say that i shot my best when i was working out. The strength training really helped.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
783 Posts
Since you are new to working out, I would not do any upper body or back workout without a couple days to recover. Or go lighter on the weight to not be as fatigued or sore.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've been doing both for quite some time and after a while both just seemed to work themselves out. I lift or run six days a week and shoot everyday without any major issues. Just take your time between shots and make sure you're eating enough for a proper recovery.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts