Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of the cancellation of World Field Championships 2020, the International tournament that will decide the quota places for Recurve and Bare Bow is combined with the European Field Championships that will take place in Zagreb, Croatia, from September 5 to 12 this year.
It means that these European Field champs will become a sort of World championships in this regard, with participants from all over the world.
Curious to know how countries outside Europe are preparing to his event.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The European championships start in Croatia the day the USAA Field Nationals in Darrington WA USA end. How are you supposed to attend both? Unfair to USA archers

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The European championships start in Croatia the day the USAA Field Nationals in Darrington WA USA end. How are you supposed to attend both? Unfair to USA archers

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
It is a quite common situation to have local competitions organized in many different countries on the same dates as top international competitions or world championships in other countries. It happens quite often, at least in Europe. The international calendar is decided at WA or IOC level, then it is the responsibility of local governing bodies to decide the local calendar. In Italy happened many times to have a National team attending a World or European championship while at the same time the national championship was taking place, therefore without national team members.
WA decision to use European Field champs as qualifier for the World games was taken in January, so if US archery has not adjusted the date of your championships will only mean that they will send a team to Croatia in any case, or will renounce to try to get a second place for Birmingham (Alabama) 2022, as you as host country already have one.

Reactions: carlosii

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Time to resurrect this thread, as World Games will be the next big thing, happening in 2022.

Up to now, two Recurve US Men are the only participants registered from outside Europe.
Preliminary entries by July, 20 expired, but final entries are due by August 20, so another 19 days more left...
Italy has already published the list of qualified, but they are not registered, yet.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Time to resurrect this thread, as World Games will be the next big thing, happening in 2022.
Vito,

Did you forget about the World Championship and World Cup Finals next month? (I think that is a rather ‘bigger thing’ than the World Games.)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would love to try a European Field Championship. I think, since I start archery this June, I might not be ready for that (not unless you can let me shoot my group first and then put the target on top of that afterwards). Personally, I really enjoy watching this event. I just wish they did better at showing the two qualifying marked and unmarked rounds, especially in terms of the shooting (so far I have only really seen video of archers and bows set to annoying music, although better music that is used for target events).

Unfortunately, I think COVID is also going to interfere with this year's competition...

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Vito,

Did you forget about the World Championship and World Cup Finals next month? (I think that is a rather ‘bigger thing’ than the World Games.)
George, World Games are second only to Olympic Games for IOC, and are the largest existing multi sport event after them.
For many sports they are the test event to hope to join Olympic Games, and so they are for Compound Target archery. As far as Field Archery is concerned, they are by far the top existing event and specifically for Bare Bow archery they are exactly what Olympic Games are for Recurve archery.

As far as Archery is concerned, video from last (2017) edition BB finals have 126.000 views on Youtube while Men Recurve finals for World Championships and Olympic qualifier 2019 have 112,000 and Moscow 2019 World Cup finals have 82.000.
Giving the incredible increase of BB archery around the world in the last few years, , it is easy to guess that Birmigham BB finals next year will be an incredible hit for BB archery.

This year, as of so many delays and overlapping, we have had the Olympic Games and we are going to have Paralympic Games finally, but the program of the year is now including in a sequence difficult to manage and follow properly, World Junior Championships in August, European Field and Word Games Qualifier in September, World Target championships and World cup final after them, also in September. Frankly, after Olympic Games, World Championships and World cup final back to back have a very low weight of attractionan for nations and spectators as well. IMHO.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Vittorio,

Having represented the USA in the World Games, I do have my own perspective on that event vs the World Championship, and my point of view differs from yours.

However, I am not selectively using Youtube views (with a full two-year differential) as a metric. I’m considering other factors.

·
Genesis 21:20
23,958 Posts
Vittorio,

Having represented the USA in the World Games, I do have my own perspective on that event vs the World Championship, and my point of view differs from yours.

However, I am not selectively using Youtube views (with a full two-year differential) as a metric. I’m considering other factors.
You represented the USA in the World Games?

Inquiring minds want to know more. Do tell.

·
Genesis 21:20
23,958 Posts
You know, he never answers you.
After three bans, I'm sure he's been told not to.

I'm being sincere here though. I had no idea he represented the US in the World Games. I do actually want more deets here.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vittorio,

The You tube views went up very close to same level immediately after the World Games finals in 2017 ... That was the big first indication that the world of archery was changing.
Anyhow, IMHO, adding World Championship finals to World cup Finals, and including Olympic Champions to Wolrd Cup finals but NOT including the World Champions of few days before is going to generate a situation very strange to manage in terms of communication ... let's see...
Did not know you have shot at World Games, web site goes back to '85 only for Archery. When?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
2005 Duisburg, Germany.

Joe McGlyn and I shot recurve.

I’m sure you remember that Michele won that one. Also noteworthy for being one of Petra Ericsson’s last major championship victories. And, it was one of the first field events where the finals were done in an “urban field range” in the city streets with a rather huge crowd for field archery.

Joe and I also were on the USA Team for the 2004 World Field Championship, where he and I earned the two USA team slots for the World Games. Doug Pritchett was the third member of our men’s recurve team In ‘04.

Joe won the silver medal at World Field, Sebastian Rohrberg was the champion.

It was interesting, having a fairly large “golf gallery” crowd of spectators following each group in the Mülheimer Wald, which was quite flat compared to Croatia the year before. Easy for spectators.

I did notice that, like WA, the IWG site seems to have incomplete information for past events, unless you really dig. If you go down the rabbit hole far enough you can even find the (handwitten) PDF’s of score cards, but they sure don’t make it easy.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The qualification round for 2022 Word Games in Field archery will start tomorrow

Quota places situation is detailed here:
For Field archery as of today:
  • GER flag
    Germany: 1
    (1 recurve woman – Lisa Unruh)
  • JPN flag
    Japan: 1
    (1 recurve man – Wataru Oonuki)
  • SWE flag
    Sweden: 2
    (1 barebow man – Erik Jonsson, 1 barebow woman – Lina Bjorklund)
  • USA flag
    USA: 4
    (1 barebow man, 1 barebow woman, 1 recurve man, 1 recurve woman)
As the only 2 participants NOT from Europe are REQUA Matthew and SCARBORO Josef in Recurve Men, the entire tournament on September 9th will be run to decide if any of them will get a second quota in RM for USA.

Reactions: Hikari

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sweden has a very strong team. I am glad to see Wataru returning. He had a great performance in Cortina. Looking forward to seeing Lisa as well.

It will be interesting to see the USA barebow team. Which John will go? Both have been shooting very strong. I am also curious to see which woman will compete.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Final allocation of RE and BB places from QAT in Slovenia today.
Sweden got 4 places, going to a total of 6
USA got 1 place, going to a total of 5
GER got 4 places, going to a total of 5
Then, 4 nations with 4 places .. GBR, ITA, FRA, SLO ...

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sorry to see Lina and Erik not going (I understand it was a personal decision rather then a problem in qualifying). But still it looks like a great result in barebow. I also enjoy watching Cinzia and Martin shoot.

·
Not there yet
1,163 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but can someone tell me how the U.S. representatives were/are selected?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe I missed it, but can someone tell me how the U.S. representatives were/are selected?
Some few nations outside Europe expectd to atttend did not send anyone to try to get quota places, but even more strange, USA only sent 2 recurve archers to try get the additional possible quota place in RM, but no one in RW, BBM or BBW. Curious to know the reason behind this decision.

Reactions: Arcus

·
Registered
302 Posts
Some few nations outside Europe expectd to atttend did not send anyone to try to get quota places, but even more strange, USA only sent 2 recurve archers to try get the additional possible quota place in RM, but no one in RW, BBM or BBW. Curious to know the reason behind this decision.
I wonder if the pandemic and quarantine requirements made that hard. Do people visiting Europe have to quarantine?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts